Re: fish

Yes, I have noticed problems with trap caught fish.  Depending on the
fish species, what seems to be the problem is that nervous, active fish
and some that are less so get extremely stressed from being confined in
a trap for a long period, coupled with tissue damage from trying to
escape and impacting the walls of the trap. Either the stress kills them
or they get fungus, which kills somewhat later.

Best method is to capture with a seine or dip net and rapidly transfer
(with wet hands or a small container used as a dipper) the fish to an
aerated storage container with weeds so they can hide.  Works much
better. If you must use a trap, only allow it to set for short periods.

BTW, ship when it is convenient on your end. I have some normal gambusia
in transit but would not be adverse to a few more.  Especially
interested in the mottled versions.

Assuming that they are in your area and legal to obtain, finding some
Carolina pygmy sunfish would generate lots of interest by me and
probably numerous others. My Peterson's field guide says that they are
in heavily vegetated areas sloughs, creeks and ditches associated with
the Waccamaw and Santee River drainage systems.  According to the field
guide, there should be Everglades and Banded pygmy sunfish in these
areas also, with these two preferring areas over mud. All are very
attractive small fishes perfect for aquariums. You should also have
blackbanded sunfish and banded sunfish.  Suspect that each species will
be found in different habitats - the banded sunfish needs an acidic
environment, for instance.

>From moontanman at aol_com Mon Jul 27 15:22:22 1998
>From: <Moontanman at aol_com>
>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:20:34 EDT
>To: dwightmoody at hotmail_com
>Subject: fish
>
>Good news on the health front, I should be shipping to you next Monday.
I had