[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Large tank/fluidized bed

Hello Jeff

If you use a fluidized bed filter, they can be run by powerheads.  I use 
penguin 550 or 1150 with the large sponge prefilter used for the reverse 
flow or biowheel systems.  

These filters can be made out of pvc pipe for around $10 for the first 
one.  You have to buy a 10' 2 inch diameter pipe, the most expensive 
part of the filter and after that you just have to buy the fittings.

I have one running on every tank over 35 gallons and they work great.

Good Luck 
Dave Lains

>From: "Kudzu" <Kudzu at airnet_net>
>To: <nfc at actwin_com>
>Subject: Re: Large tank construction
>Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:20:33 -0500
>Reply-To: nfc at actwin_com
>I have seen the fluidized bed filters and read a bit about them. My
>concern is lack of mechanical filtering. With a plant tank there can
>be lot of stuff to clog up  filter intakes. Of course smaller pieces
>flow into the filter itself. Is that not going to be a problem with a
>fluidized bed filter?
>Jeff <*\\><
>>>Don't use a wet/dry if you are thinking of keeping plants.  My
>toy (well, about a year old now) is a fluidized bed filter.
>Inexpensive, compact, and NO maintenance!  No sump to run over
>Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):
>"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade
>"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes

Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com