Re: making armor for a living

That sounds good! I really do need something other than the thin waders,
as the snakes are a problem. They usually get out of the way, but
occasionally there is one that will get a notion to charge at me for
some reason, and its something I am wary of when I get into the water
over ankle deep.
	I thought you were talking about the lightweight water resistant metal
chain type at first though, as the person I had heard of used this sort
of stuff as I understand it. She made suits of it though. Had something
to do with being used by divers, but I am not sure what. The guys that
told me about it were some of the divers that were in the bridge unit
that I was in, and the conversation was centered around needing
lightweight protection from some sort of fish in the water in the Rhine
River, where we did our military training.

	At any rate, thanks for the info.

Herb

mcclurg luke e wrote:

> Actually it's not hard.  I can do it myself...but my work doesn't look as
> nice.  Start out with a paper pattern.  A grocery sack works really well.
> Cut it into a basic shape and fine tune with multiple fittings.  A good
> inexpensive 'armor' you could use is heavy plastic trash can (not the
> kmart brands, something a little heavier).  It's flexible, and you can
> heat it in the oven to help get it to mold better...remember to protect
> yourself with a towel between you and it while shaping.  Drill a few holes
> in it for straps, get some 'tandy' rivets (don't recommend 'pop'
> varieties)  and get a good strapping material and some buckes or 'D' rings
> to use as fasteners.
>
>  For NON-water use you can use leather covered in heavy coats of wax.  It
> becomes as hard as steel almost.  If there are enough people interested, I
> might try to come up with a design and an article on 'how to'.  Let me
> know.
>
>  If you were going to buy the 'professional' stuff...you'd only need a
> half suit by the time you had paid you arm & leg...if you get my drift.  A
> decent "Kidex"  (sp?) a.k.a. trash can plastice suit probably won't cost
> more that $50.  That's a 'guesstimate'.
>
> LM
>
> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Herb Harris wrote:
>
> > while I was in the army stationed in Germany in the 70's, I heard of a
> > French girl who some folks claimed did that too, so I guess its not an
> > unusual profession.
> >
> > How much you reckon your friends charge? the snakes in these parts get
> > thick this time of year, don't ya know? got any idea just how they go
> > about getting the right measurements?
> >
> > Herb
> >

> > mcclurg luke e wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually....I have friends who make armor for a living.  Seriously!
> > >
> > > I'm sure they could make you something.
> > >
> > > LM

Follow-Ups: References: