Re: Shiner being called 'Rainbow Dace'

They sell Red Shiners (Cyprinella lutrensis) here in Columbus and call them
Rainbow Dace.  I've seen some badly inbred and deformed ones lately.  See a
picture of this species at:
http://www.utexas.edu/depts/tnhc/.www/fish/dfc/na/cyprinid/cyprinel/clutrens
/i_clutre.html
This one is not as brightly colored as the ones in the pet shop usually are.

Other species that are commonly found at pet shops are albino and "blue"
channel cats (Ictalurus punctatus) and brown bullheads (Ameiurus nebulosus)
sold as Marble Cats.  I occasionally see Southern Redbelly Dace (Phoxinus
erythrogaster) too.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use "the Net" and he won't bother you for weeks.