Re: Need help/opinions

Actually, I think I have an idea what is going on, especially if you
either have an undergravel filter or have not vacuumed the gravel in
awile.  If so, what happens is that the gravel accumulates an increasing
load of debris out of sight, which is especially common in UG filtered
tanks.  If the debris is not removed on a regular basis, by once a week
vacuuming with a gravel siphon with the UG filter off, what happens is
that the nitrifying bacteria die, and the remaining bacteria reverse the
nitrogen cycle, generating lots of nitrite and ammonia that is quite
toxic to fish.  Testing the water for ammonia and nitrite would probably
show high levels.

BTW, water changes should always involve vacuuming the gravel, otherwise
you leave most of the debris and toxins in the tank.