Re: Silversides

Dave,

Thank you for the articles ! You have a nice style and it is a real
pleasure to see your broad base of experience. Contact me if you'd like
to do some of the fish publications ! I'd be happy to help you get a
broader audience..............

Robert Rice

Save A Native Eat An Oscar <:)((((<
Check Out the Native Fish Conservancy at
email  NFC at actwin_com   or  website  http:\\nativefish.interspeed.net\

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:43:16 -0700 "The Halls" <dahall at lightspeed_net>
writes:
>Silversides
>David L. Hall
>813 Williams Ave.
>Madera, CA 93637
>dahall at lightspeed_net
>

>My interest in silversides began when I saw a picture of the Brook
>silversides (Labidesthes sicculus) in a booklet called An Introduction
>Missouri Fishes by William Pflieger and Lawrence C. Belusa.  I was
>intrigued by the picture which showed a translucent fish with a
>beaklike
>snout.  I had to have a closer look.
>
>Finding the silversides was easy as they were abundant in the area,
>but
>getting them home was anything but easy.  Catching them with my seine
>was
>not difficult, but when I transferred them to my bucket they died
>within
>minutes.  After several attempts I gave up, vowing to try again later.
>
>Many weeks later I was on a quest searching for sunfish when I caught
>21/2 inch silverside.  My first reaction was throw it back, but on a
>whim I
>tossed it into the styrofoam container that I had brought to transport
>my
>"catch of the day".  Continuing to search for sunnies I forgot about
>the
>lone silverside. Later when I was about to put a Blackstripe topminnow
>in
>the styro I was shocked to see the siverside was still alive and well!
> In
>my excitement I shifted my priorities and looked for more silversides.
>collected a couple more before calling it a day.
>
>I kept those silversides in a 15 gallon long aquarium with outside
>filter.
>I fed my silversides fine flake food with an occasional supplement of
>frozen baby brine shrimp.  They feed on plankton in nature and so
>newly
>hatched brine shrimp or daphnia would be appropriate.  William
>Pflieger's
>Fishes of Missouri notes that they feed by sight.
>
>My first silversides survived for several months, but my second
>attempt to
>keep them resulted in keeping them alive for close to two years.  I
>found
>that a larger swimming area, floating plants, and salt in the aquarium
>seemed to have a positive effect on them.
>
>Although I never attempted to spawn them sources note that silversides
>spawn like Medaka or Celebes rainbows with the female trailing a
>filament
>with eggs attached from her vent and depositing them on plants.  Their
>spawning behavior in the wild has been observed to occur when the
>water
>temperature reaches between 20 and 34 degrees(C).
>
>In California I've collected and kept the Mississippi silversides
>(Menida
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]