Re: Now Never returned to the wild

I agree with you there Peter.  Introduction of diseases that are
extracontinental would be a serious concern.  I think that there are worse
ways, though, of spreading them.  For instance, Ich most likely got into
our waters by being dumped down the drain, not released fish.  I'm not
sure if that was pointed out earlier or not.  Point being, waste water is
a bit more of a threat than a few fishes.  I -=do=- however believe that
fish should not be released if they've gotten ill, or been housed with
fishes from other areas, esp. tropicals, goldenfish, and koi.  I
personally think that this should be put into policy.  I also believe that
these fish SHOULD not be mixed with our natives in tanks.  This is for
this simple reason : They just don't mix right.  Tropicals mostly require
temperatures higher than those of our natives, thats the reasons
goldenfish arenever mixed.  Goldenfish and koi are extremly filthy
animals, putting out vast ammounts of waste, and using a lot of O2.  Our
natives suffer when mixed with either of these, either from foul water
(with GF and Koi) or higher temperatures.  So far, I've only been
successfull at mixing rainbowfish (From Australia and that region) with
some of our natives, simply because they both come from cool, running
water.  Darters and 'Bows mix great, IMO, but, I'm getting off topic. :)

><>
J. L. Wiegert                            NFC at actwin_com List Admin
Come Chat at SomeThing Fishy             To join: Send e-mail to
Telnet to:                               nfc-request at actwin_com with
Nexus.V-Wave.Com, port 7000              the command 'subscribe' in
                                         the body.  To leave, use
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2308  'unsubscribe'.
 Dubotchugh yIpummoH.                      bI'IQchugh Yivang!