Re: Water changes

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Herb Harris wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
>         Never tried that, might work. I can't afford to get much water
> at 30 cents a gallon though, as I use between 150 to 200 gallons a week
> for changes for the acclimated fish. Use about 30 gallons a week for the
> isolated new quarantined fish when I have some. Costs about $2 for the
> drive to the creeks to get the water if I need more than 60 gallons, as
> I try to get some water from a collecting location when I'm there in a
> couple of covered trash type plastic containers.

*******
Some of the systems you can install in your home will pay for themselves
rather quickly if you use a lot of water.  Something to consider.

******

>         Usually pick my collecting spots so a bridge is close that I can
> drive the pickup on and dip water out directly from the creek into a 5
> gal bucket with a rope tied to it, then hauled up and dumped into the
> waiting containers. Works for me. The tote the water up the hill method
> gets old the older I get! At a fat 46yrs I'm way too lazy to do much
> else. ":)
*******
I'm pretty much the same way.  I'm just a fat 34yrs is the only difference
there. :)  I don't think I could handle hauling up all that water though.
Have Carpal Tunnel problems...they'd probably give out on me. :(

*******

>         Had any ph ect. adjustment problems when you use the RO or
> bottled water? I know a few of the shiner species around here that are
> very sensitive to sudden changes of temp, but do well overall otherwise.

******

I've not experienced any trouble with the RO/DI water yet.  I have had
troubles in the past with conditioned tap water causing osmotice shock to
shiners and sunfishes.  I always drop in a handful of aquarium salt (but
not too much) to help out.

Luke
******