Re: Now Never returned to the wild !!!!

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, robert a rice wrote:

> While I appluade folks getting excited about things I think for now we
> should limit the scope of things to aquarium species.

Then you'd be a bunch of fools.  :-)

> but befor we
> go  shooting at each other about this issue we should take a step back
> and concentrate on the obvious problem of introduced aquarium
> species.......

It's the same basic problem.  As I see it there are four levels in issue
here.

1/ Introduction of exotic fish (those from another continent).
2/ Translocation/Introduction of "native" fish (those from North America).
3/ Translocation of fish within their native range (ie individual drainage
basins).
4/ Rerelease of fish taken from the wild back to their place of capture.

I don't think anyone is arguing about the first three.  The forth one is
certainly more anal, however, I think if you ask a bunch of fisheries
professionals they would suggest #4 is also important to advocate against.

> We risk becoming so myopic on this issue that no party would be allowed
> to move anyfish anywhere and in effect you would end aquarium rearing,
> reintroductions, stocking and we would lose most of the interests of
> naturalist, fishermen and aquarists.....

Now you are getting a little extreme here.  :-)  Ideally fish rereleased back
into the wild should have a vet examination to ensure we are not releasing
more than we think.  Most hatcheries do undertake this these days from what I
understand.

Tootles
Peter Unmack

Follow-Ups: References: