Re: Newbie question

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Wiegert <jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com>
To: Native Fish Counsel <nfc at actwin_com>
Date: Thursday, July 02, 1998 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: Newbie question

>Yes, a seign should have poles on the end.  Usually, however, you add
>these yourselves.  I've nevre seen one for sale with them.

I have a seine that I don't use very often, but when I do, I always use
poles.  My favorite poles are the kind that you buy to extend a paint
roller.  They come in one-foot lengths and have threads cut into their ends.
Plastic threaded extenders allow you to connect several together.  When not
in use, they can be broken down and stowed neatly in a backpack.  Or, if I
have to hike to and from the site, they make a serviceable walking stick.

Typically, I'll have 9 or more of these sections in my pack--enough for
poles for the seine and also to extend the reach of my dip net which has
been modified to screw onto the end of one of the sections.  With four of
these sections attached to my net, I can usually stand on one side of the
stream and catch Mr. Fish in his hiding place on the other side, using
Daryl's scooping up from below technique.

Steve Gates
swgates at worldnet_att.net