Re: Dealing with the real fish? problem

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 Moontanman at aol_com wrote:

> I am truly sorry to have gone off last night with all the arguing.  I am not
> an atheist, and when I say evolution I mean it as broad term that attempts to
> explain How life developed and progressed on earth, as with all scientific
> endeavors it is subject to change as new information is gathered.  I have read
> Gould's work and believe that has a good grip on the problem.  I will not
> reconnize creationism as a science, sorry Mr. Mccurg, Nor will I recognize
> evolution as a religion.  Lets agree to disagree, and try not to offend each
> other by making claims like "evolution is a farce" I have had to deal with
> people that think the sun and the moon are just lights in the sky with no
> material reality because that is what the bible says.  Argument about these
> things is very unproductive, but I still say that an exotic fish is not
> necessarily harmful, and if in indeed we as a group intend to eliminate
> exotics from the South, what about all the exotics in the North?  Are we going
> to eliminate carp, flathead catfish, bullheads, trout, salmon and any other
> fish not native to a particular area?  It sound like a fools errand, think
> about how hard it would be to eliminate a widely distributed and successful
> fish with totally destroying it's environment.  I am willing to support the
> catch but no release of any exotics, but to intentionally hunt them down?

*****
This is an excellent point made and was what I was originally trying to
debate.  My concern is that many of these species 'up north' are
considered game fishes and under some form of protection.  I think before
we start trying to eliminate them we better consider how many enemies
we'll make...with landowners, fish and game officials, politticans,
animal rights activists as well as the sport fishers and related
personnel.

Luke McClurg

*****