Re: Silversides and fungus

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Kudzu wrote:

> So what do I need to do to prevent the fungus from forming or treat it? I
> have not used salt in any of my tanks because of the plants. Would that help
> maybe?

To keep the fungus down using salt you would need to add ~ 10 grams per litre
(= 10ppt).  There are 28 grams in an ounce and ~3.8 litres in a US gallon.
I'll let you do the math.  You should run a little test first to be sure they
can take that concentration of salt.  You also need to take the fish out of
that concentration slowly, no more than a 50% dilution per day.  You do not
need to acclimatise them when adding the salt though I would dissolve it
seperately first.

Cheers

Peter J Unmack 			peter.unmack at asu_edu
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Australian desert fishes pages at http://ozdesertfish.base.org (don't
forget to visit the Desert Fishes Council pages too)
Native Fish Australia pages at http://www.nativefish.asn.au
North American Native Fishes Association at http://www.nanfa.org
Aquatic Conservation Network at http://www.acn.ca