Re: Going abroad: Collecting tickets (was Re: Dealing with the real fish? problem)

As a published author of a wide variety of articles, I can tell you that
in order for a piece to get published, you have to have it meet THEIR
editorial needs.  After being told recently by Fur-Fish-Game (where I
have had a number of articles published) that they had no interest in a
native fish aquarium piece (but were interested in an article on weasel
trapping), don't worry about rejection slips.  A rejection slip doesn't
mean that it was a bad article, just that it didn't meet their needs or
doesn't "work" for them for whatever reason.  The best way to get
published is to scope out the magazines and see which ones run articles
on similar subjects.  An article on native fish aquariums might not be
of interest to Newsweek but it may get a positive response from The
Mother Earth News, where a good percentage of the readership might be
interested in such an article as they might be interested in having an
aquarium but don't want to purchase tropical fish. An article
accompanied by good quality photos (usually 35 mm slides or larger
format transparencies) has a better chance as it requires less work for
the staff to make it publication ready.

Suggest reviewing a "Writer's Digest" type book if you are really
interested in trying to get articles published, as reference books of
this type usually have a good overview of publications and helpful hints
on getting published.  Works the best when reviewed in conjunction with
several issues of a magazine you are considering submitting to, as each
magazine has a particular audience and "flavor." For instance,
Fur-Fish-Game is a magazine for the average person who doesn't have a
lot of money and fishes/hunts/traps locally or regionally on occasion.
Outdoor Life is for the guy who has the ability to take off a couple of
weeks for a vacation and maybe drives a bit on weekends.  Sports Afield
is for the guys that go hunting  with tweed jackets and 1,000 dollar
shotguns. Learning the "lingo" is half the battle of getting published.