Re: Dealing with the real fish? problem

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 peter.unmack at ASU_Edu wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, robert a rice wrote:
>
> > Florida has a nice poster and flyer about not releasing aquarium
> > species...
>
> Robert, do you have a specific contact through which I might be able to try
> and get copies?
>
> > Peter  makes the point that to collect 10,000 red shiners and
> > sell them would be difficult I agree but he misses the point of once
> > caught never returned...
>
> Well, actually I didn't, I just never mentioned it.  I've killed more
> non-natives in Ash Meadows alone than I have had hot dinners....
>
> > to one place or another and collects 200 cichlids 10,000 red shiners and
> > a mes s of other nasty exotics. Well with the ERP he would have an avenue
> > to sell some of the offenders and the procceeds would probably be enough
> > to pay for the gas , food and what not so instead of Peter and his
> > buddies being out 50 bucks and mess of exotics being  removed , a mess of
> > exotics would be removed, some sold and Peter and co. would still have 50
> > bucks and would be more likley  to go out again.....
>
> Just as a side issue.  What happens when folks start making real money doing
> this.  Wouldn't it provide an opportunity for unscrupulous folks to then
> introduce money making species so they can do the same from their local
> habitats?   How you keep it local and ethical is one of the bigger challanges.
>
> Public education is definately the biggest impacts groups like this can have
> with smaller budgets since it mostly takes some smart thinking and getting
> people off their arses.  The challenge is to get beyond the converted, to get
> Joe Public in on this information.  Certainly, your volumous writings has been
> a great start but it will need to move broader.

***********
 More 'two cents' worth here...

  If we want people i.e. J.Q.P. to get the message then let's start going
to them.  Roberts and others articles are EXCELLENT but how are they
reaching the NON-aquaria world?  Let's consider other publications (a one
page advertisement--or the "Ditch" article in such publications as
'Outdoor Life', 'Rod N' Reel', REDBOOK (don't laugh, that article would
get plenty of their readers going...) and that's just a FEW possibilities.
Maybe it's not financially feasible now for such publications, but what
about the local or regional journals.  I plan on trying to get something
to a couple of Agriculturally based regional magazines in Kansas this
year.  Probably just a note about the NFC or a copy of 'The Flier' but it
will be a start.  As well as sending stuff to area schools, politicians,
and county extension agents.  Debate is great, articles are wonderful, but
let's not get locked into the idea that our only medium for expression is
in the pages (paper or electronic) of Aquaria based forums.

end sermon,  :-)

Luke

P.S.  It only works if we MAKE it work.

LM