Re: H. formosa

A general rule of thumb:  All generalities have exceptions, even this one.
:)  Yes, a well-fed fish is less likely to eat another fish, since hunting
and attempting to catch the fish requires energy, and theres no point in
expending energy doing this, if you're already fed.

><>
J. L. Wiegert                            NFC at actwin_com List Admin
Come Chat at SomeThing Fishy             To join: Send e-mail to
Telnet to:                               nfc-request at actwin_com with
Nexus.V-Wave.Com, port 7000              the command 'subscribe' in
                                         the body.  To leave, use
www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/2308  'unsubscribe'.
 Dubotchugh yIpummoH.                      bI'IQchugh Yivang!

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 peter.unmack at ASU_Edu wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Josh Wiegert wrote:
>
> >    A rule of thumb for all fishes, regardless of species, habitat, or
> > dietary prefferences: Big Fish Eat Littel Fish.
>
> While generally I wholehartly agree with that statement I have to disagree
> with it too for a few specific exceptions.  There appear to be a few poecilid
> and goodeid fish that by and large do not consume their young under reasonable
> conditions (ie adequate food resources).  How often have you seen a tank full
> of mollies (with no other fish) and seen a bunch of babies in with them with
> little cover? I certainly have over the years.  I suspect the H. formosa were
> somewhat hungry having been in a bag for three or so days.  I'll bet if you
> give them a good feed and keep them fed you will get many young in with the
> adults.
>
> Tootles
>
> Peter J Unmack 			peter.unmack at asu_edu
> DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!
>
> Australian desert fishes pages at http://ozdesertfish.base.org (don't
> forget to visit the Desert Fishes Council pages too)
> Native Fish Australia pages at http://www.nativefish.asn.au
> North American Native Fishes Association at http://www.nanfa.org
> Aquatic Conservation Network at http://www.acn.ca

Follow-Ups: References: