Re: PRESIDENTS MESSAGE READ THIS - Exotics

>These fish would also be desirable as genetically vibrant breeding
>stock. This would be especially good if we could do so in a manner that
>increases sales, such as providing NFC certification that the XYZ Fish
>Farm has wild-caught cichlids that come with an NFC ERP certification as
>to their wild-caught status - these fish should command a premium price,
>sort of like Tropica-certified plants. Perhaps a few discreet inquiries
>are in order.

Just a small point of comment here...Just because certain exotic species
are established in the "wilds" of Florida, does not necessarily mean they
constitute a diverse genetic pool.  If the population originated with just
a few individuals, and has remained isolated from other introductions, then
they may be very much inbred and in no way superior to farmed stock.

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use "the Net" and he won't bother you for weeks.