Re: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS Re: Exotics Removal Team setup

Hi all, Robert,

	I know there is a lot of effort that goes into the marketing and
"sales" side as well. Fine, each fish donated gets a point to the
donator, that takes care of the "producer" side, whether from breeders,
collectors, or whatever.
	Of course someone is left out in this equation. The "sales" side. These
guys donate their time, gas money, contacts, etc., for the benefit of
NFC. To ignore their contribution is overlooking half the team! Really,
not many things in the world actually "sell themselves" nearly as
effectively as a dedicated sales team can. Live fish may be in even more
of a need to be "sold" in that they have a limited "shelf life".
	If we are not able to effectively create a broader market and "sale"
the fish in these programs, no significant money will be produced to do
the good we look to do eventually.
	Membership is definitely a part of the way to "grow out of the
problem". By increasing membership we automatically increase the
potential customer base, but with a good incentive plan a small "sales
team" can be more effective at a specific goal than a large group that
is not focused.
	Of course, we need membership for many other reasons than the narrow
idea that they are a "market". I don't mean to offend anyone here, just
a look at some realities. "Sales and marketing" drive business, not
production, until the market is there. Ask any laid off worker of
several industries.
	So, in my way of seeing things, the "sales" part of our team deserves
and should be rewarded equally as well as the "production" side. If a
"program point" goes to the guy removing a fish in the swamp that
eventually donates that fish to NFC, I want to see the guy calling
around to his contacts for an hour or more (sometimes long distance) to
find a home for that fish to get the same reward.
	I realize we do not have to have a direct one to one correlation of a
dollar in cash to a dollar (point) in the program, but for the sake of
example and simplification,  if we "sell" a fish for $3 a pop, we split
out like: one to the producer, one to the seller, that leaves one for
overhead and other costs, and whatever is left goes to the PROGRAM. May
not be enough to go around.
	That's why I propose to increase the number of fish that qualifies for
a "program point" to at least two, and perhaps more. I want to reward
everyone fairly, with equal recognition, but the lion's share in my
outlook should go to the NFC programs, not as reward incentives. I want
to see the incentives, we certainly need them, won't happen without
them, but a guy that collects or raises fish mostly does it cause he
loves it, and will be just as happy with 50 cents a fish as a dollar a
fish in program points. I know I would! And you KNOW I came in the door
looking for what I could get!

	So that's where I'm at with the program points as of now, but I'm
listening. If someone has a better argument, I want to know it cause I
really want everyone to get as much out of NFC as they can, because that
is what will make us grow. If we love what we do and why we do it, it
will grow.
	Plenty of folks in the world that are tired of seeing the way the
natural world takes the brunt of the mistakes people make, some well
meaning, some outright criminal, most just from inertia of apathy to
change the status quo. If we reach enough of these people with the
message that we can do things to make a difference, at least in the
focused group activities of NFC, then we will grow. But we have to
"sell" our ideas and ideals by sharing the vision....

Herb

--
Native Fish Conservancy
visit our old webpage: