Re: Breeder's Club issues

Hi Dwight, all,

	Thanks for the encouraging words, and I too am sorry for the confusion.
Just as you say, we have a lot of work ahead of us! I will email you
privately about some of the issues you listed later in the week.
	Just to bring anyone interested up to speed on the status of shipping
shiners from Arkansas, I too found the section that you refer to in the
"Baitfish" part of the regs that prohibits the export of "minnows" taken
from "public waters". I have talked to the folks at AGFC, and sent in
another (more concise) cover letter explaining my goals to collect local
fish, raise them, and sell the offspring. I also sent my commercial
fishing license app, fish dealer app, and fish farmer app. Checks were
included, and I figured money involved might show my sincerity.
	I heard last night from a Game Warden that called, saying he had to ok
the "pond" setup I would have for my "fish farm". I explained to him
that these fish would be raised in aquarium for the most part, and that
right now I have no pond established for them. After explaining the
situation that there is a growing demand for native fish for aquarist
nationwide, and internationally, and general issues concerning how to go
about selling or exporting fish from the state, we agreed that since
these are native fish they should be regulated by the code.
	In the fish farmer regs, the aquarium use of fish is only covered under
a prohibition against non natives. Where non natives for "strictly
hobbyist aquarium trade" use are exempt from the prohibition, though may
not be raised to be used for any other purpose. He said the fish farm is
the way to go, much as game fish can only be sold from a fish farm here,
and none can be sold that are caught directly from the wild. Since these
fish are not game fish, and are not "commercial" fish that can be sold
directly from the wild, but fall into a gray area somewhere between, he
said he would ok the fish farm permit, and explain it to the other folks
involved. I assume the other folks are the fisheries people, who must
also ok the permit.
	Although this may be the long way round, perhaps we can get there from
here. Just in case, as "plan B", please send what you have on Scientific
Collection Permits that you have been involved with. I'm quite sure my
personal experience will not be the only circuitous route a member has
to take to accomplish the desire to help the NFC and the fish.

	Your help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to working with you.

Herb