Terry Mercer <tmercer at wichita_infi.net>: A first, albeit inconsequential, success

From: Terry Mercer <tmercer at wichita_infi.net>
To: robertrice at juno_com (robert a rice)
Subject: A first, albeit inconsequential, success
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:26:00 -0500

Dear Mr. Rice,

Since, as I told you before, you really got me interested in the
"smaller"
fishes, I thought I would share this with you.

I ordered some H. formosa from Pete Rollo. While waiting for them, I
decided to get a half-dozen White Cloud Minnows to keep the tank cycled
and
to adjust myself to watching smaller fishes (all of my goldfish are
outside
by this time).
Imagine my pleasure when a week after I put the White Clouds in the tank
discovered the tiniest fry swimming as I was changing water last Sunday.
By
now there must be twenty of the fry - from at least two different
hatchings, I speculate (because of the size difference) - and they seem
be doubling in size every day (well...maybe not quite that much!).

There's really nothing like it, is there?

Of course, I can hardly wait for Pete's H. formosa to get here, although
have had to set up another tank for them.

After reading the articles on the NFC website, I think I might want to
try
a darter after getting the H. formosa started. Do you keep any darters?

I know you must be busy getting ready for the NANFA meeting in early
June,
but I did want to share my rather inconsequential success with you and to
tell you that I get more and more interested in the "smaller" fishes with
each day.

p.s. Of course I realize that White Clouds are only natives if you're
Chinese, but I'm still delighted they decided to honor my tank with their
progeny!

Best regards.

Terry Mercer

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]