Re: blueheads (and discussion of interstate issues)

Actually, the relevant points are quite simple.  First, the fish must be
obtained legally.  Second, the fish must be kept and transported in a
legal manner, with all necessary permits.  If fish are taken legally,
ownership of the fish conditionally goes to the person who captured the
fish. The fish must continue to be managed in a legal fashion to retain
ownership, otherwise ownership reverts to the State. If a particular
state allows minnows to be taken for personal use under a fishing
license, the minnows may be used for bait, put in an aquarium, traded,
etc.  It tends to get more complicated if the minnows are sold, which
may require a bait dealer's license.  Propagation permits are often
required if the offspring are to be stocked into waters of the state,
but may not apply to aquarium-based breeding systems where the offspring
will not be released into the wild.

In short, the best approach is to draft a prospectus describing what you
would like to do, including collection, captive propagation methods and
what will be done with the offspring and ask the local DNR for a
determination as to what permits, if any, are needed.  DNR staff are
generally quite helpful to those that inform them in advance of planned
activities, especially if the persons involved clearly communicate their
intent to fully comply with applicable regulations.

For most areas that don't have import/export permit requirements (like
North Carolina and Arizona, for instance), the process may be a bit more
involved, but the USFWS staff I have talked to say that these states
just want to know what is going on and that activities are above-board.
Associating a proposed project with an established conservation
organization (such as the NFC, for instance) seems to facilitate getting
through the permit process. Inquiries and providing upfront info to the
DNR's of the involved state(s) is the best way to go.

>From owner-nanf at actwin_com Mon May 18 13:23:38 1998
>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:22:46 -0400
>To: nanf at actwin_com
>From: mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark Binkley)
>Subject: Re: blueheads
>Sender: owner-nanf at actwin_com
>
>>>That all makes sense, but what I want to know is does the state the
>>>fish
>>>originated from have any jurisdiction over the fish after it leaves
>>>that
>>>state.
>>

>>No much like my Joe Buck analogy when Joe Leaves Ks he is no longers
Ks