Re: Fred Hamilton <fredhamilton at fuse_net>: Re: NA NATIVES

>I notice that you write from Navarre, Florida. Can you recommend any
>collecting sites in the south Florida area?  Our family vacation will be
>in a couple of weeks, and we're driving through Orlando and down to the
>Everglades and Big Cypress.  I'm interested in collecting dwarf sunfish,
>but I'd also be interested in places where I can observe/collect
>introduced cichlids. In addition to my natives, I'm keeping a variety of
>cichlids (see http://www.lava.net/~cjones/1000g.html).  Oh well, that's
>what can happen after twenty years in the aquarium hobby!
>

>                                        Fred
>
>--------- End forwarded message ----------

Fred,

I have collected blue tilapia, Tilapia marie, Cichlasoma bimaculatum,
Cichlasoma urophthalmus and Cichlasoma managuense in Miami and the
everglades.  I can give you precise locations if you like.  Let me know.
Also found Enneacanthus gloriosus and Belonesox in Miami.  Peterson's Field
Guide to Freshwater Fish has a good section on the exotics in Florida and
elsewhere - good ID info.  Also see this site I think it gives site
records:  http://nas.nfrcg.gov/fishes/fisheslist.htm

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use "the Net" and he won't bother you for weeks.