Re: blueheads

>In regards to fish in most cases if it is not a resident species it is
>not regulated for instance in VT. you can sell heterandria formosa all
>you want as they are a non native species and are considered the same as
>tropicals.Heck you could buy em from me who wild collects em and the only
>legal entity that would be involved would be the Florida folks who would
>want ot make sure I have the proper licenses and am following the law.
>Exceptions are many western states wich are heading towards a total ban
>of non nantive species...So in the Bluehead shiner case Herb could send
>them to me and I sell them or he may very well be able to sell them
>himself a little research will straighten that all out. the most
>important thing for the NFC is we communicate honestly what we are doing
>to the regulatory agencies and follow the letter of the law period ....

That all makes sense, but what I want to know is does the state the fish
originated from have any jurisdiction over the fish after it leaves that
state.  For instance, if the fish or it's offspring is later sold out of
another state.  Does one state have any enforcement power in another state
if the fish came from the first state.  I'm not wanting to flout the law, I
just want to know want I have to do to stay out of trouble.
 I think in a lot of states, the DNR doesn't really bother itself much with
anything outside of the sport fishery and maybe listed species.  Of course,
as Herb pointed out, they may not even know what their listed species are
without going and looking up the list.  I think part of the diffulty will
be to get the DNR people interested enough to want to do the extra work to
find out for us what is legal and what isn't.  Does that sound anything
like your experiences in Vermont, Dwight?

Mark Binkley
Columbus Ohio USA          <))><
mbinkley at earthling_net

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him
to use "the Net" and he won't bother you for weeks.