Re: blueheads

Hello Herb and the list,

There is basically 2 approaches you can go about to get the money
together to further breeding of this fish. 1st is join the breeders
club(wich has no members yet but heck were only 2 weeks old) each point
you earn =s 1$ in MOPS gift certificates. SO any successfull spawn of any
species = 10 points, a bonus yet to be determined of X points would be
added for difficulty unusual nature of the species etc....You must
document the life  histories and breeding habits of the shiner. Then when
you raise up the fry to a shipable size NFC gets half of the stock to
sell on the website or email list. The other half are yours to sell,
trade eat ,...whatever . Of course all parties no matter what we do need
all the permits...

Option 2 Make a grant proposal to the NFC. For instance I want XXXX $'s
to help breeding of the XYZ Fish. I have successfully bred XYZDFG. By
doing so it will benifit the species and greater conservation in XYZ
manners. (life historys, public outreach etc etc) ....We would then work
together with the state of Arkansas Fisheries shareing your data with
anyone who wants it and the fry if successfully bred will be used in any
way the DNR says is appropriate. If they say anything but release them as
is often the case we would funnell them through the website silent
auction etc...If they say kill em we would kill em ...if they say restock
em we restock....either way the euqipment is yours to keep...In either
option the NFC hopes to make money to further other projects and land
purchases....A lot of people have bought into this myth that commercial
use of fisheries is bad. Look around folks the land is going fast and if
we cant afford to buy it as a preservation tool we wont be able to
collect much 30 years from now !!

On Fri, 15 May 1998 14:41:15 -0500 Herb Harris <top_side at geocities_com>
writes:
>Hi Robert and list,
>
>	Seems the bluehead is a hit, judging from the private
>inbox has seen in the last couple of days - you guys know who you are!
>Ha.
>	I really welcome the opportunity to share these fish with
>anyone
>interested. I think perhaps a coordinated effort to put some of them
>in
>the care of folks that have the time and resources to develop a steady
>supply of them may be called for. I don't intend to hog these fish.
>I'd
>like to see a distributed breeding program set up for them. I have
>enough confidence in the qualities and suitability of these fish as
>general aquarium keepers that I believe there will be profit for
>everyone that cares to get involved in breeding them! Once a general
>market can be developed for them, these guys have the potential to
>develop a substantial niche in the trade.
>	I can provide starters for this as my own stock develop, as I
>get my
>stock up to shipping levels, or when the sporadic collecting
>conditions
>allow. As I am not fond of cottonmouths - especially when collecting
>alone - I only wade out knee deep, so water level for finding them is
>significant. I know just where to look to get as many as I care to,
>but
>unless a collecting event were mounted for several of us to pitch in,
>will take only those that I find in good condition and I have room to
>care for. Because of this a breeding program is the only practical way
>to go.
>	 The backing of NFC to get up to speed on this - permit wise,
>and
>equipment wise - sure sounds good to me. Someone suggested privately
>that doing an end run around the permit situation may be called for,
>as
>different States have different requirements. That's certainly one way
>to handle it, but I'd rather get support from NFC to get the legal
>clearance to do this thing right. Purchase and/or provision of
>equipment
>and food will certainly help too!
>	So, how do we get this ball rolling?
>

>Herb
>
>robert a rice wrote:
>>
>> herb,
>>
>> The NFC Breeders program was developed just for someone like you. I
>>agree fully that without involvment of the greater public,
>conservation >of our native fishes will be immpossible. People will
>only get involved >in things they care about and they will only care
>about things they >know. As long as the Bluehead shiner remains
>unknown it remains in >peril. Incvolvment in its fate by even a
>handfull of nativefish >enthusiast could make a real difference.
>
>>snip<

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: