Re: NANFA-- silicone???

Personally, I would not use anything other than silicone sealant specifically designed
for aquarium use, which glass stores should either have in stock or can special order
for you.  Mail order souces include Mail Order Pet Shop and Pet Warehouse.  Price
should be about $6-7 for a 10 oz. tube that goes in a caulk gun.  The most basic
reason to use this type of sealant is that it was specifically designed for constant
contact with water and contains no toxic substances once it is cured.  Silicones
designed for other applications may separate from the glass and/or leach toxins.

I have tried constructing aquariums with other sealants and found that the special
aquarium sealant gives superior long-term performance, without the worries about
toxins.  Unlike some other silicones, it doesn't separate from the glass over time,
which causes leaks and/or failure. Suggest investing in a caulk gun ($1-2) and purchasing
some of the special aquarium sealant.

BTW, if you put a screw that fits TIGHTLY in the nozzle of the tube or otherwise
tightly seal the nozzle after you are finished using it, the screw will prevent the
rest of the tube from curing, so you can use the rest later.  This makes the purchase
of the special sealant more cost-effective as you don't have to throw away a partially
used tube when you are done.
---
Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish and remained
within it for three days and three nights. Afterwards,
he was "vomited" (literal translation) onto the beach
to go and minister to the people of Ninevah (Jonah 2:1-11).
While we often find references in aquarium books
concerning the first instances of fishkeeping
by humans, this appears to be the first instance
of humankeeping by a fish!

http://www.mailexcite.com