BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com: Non-member submission from [NANFAMAN <NANFAMAN at aol_com>] (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: owner-nanf at actwin_com
To: owner-nanf at actwin_com
Subject: BOUNCE nanf at actwin_com:    Non-member submission from [NANFAMAN <NANFAMAN at aol_com>]

>From jwiegert at nexus_v-wave.com  Fri May  1 18:14:43 1998
From: NANFAMAN <NANFAMAN at aol_com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:15:04 EDT
To: nanf at actwin_com
Subject: Blackbanded sunfish.....

--part0_894060904_boundary

:*

--part0_894060904_boundary

                      SUCCESSFULLY SPAWNING AND RAISING
          THE BLACKBANDED SUNFISH (Enneacanthus chaetodon)
                                  By Peter R. Rollo
                                   2308 Cedar Lane
                                        Secane Pa
                                           19018

In their native habitat in South Central New Jersey, spawning generally b=
egins in May or when the water temperature approaches 70 F.  On June 20, =
1994 I collected two dozen Blackbanded Sunfish, ranging in size from juve=
nile to adult.  No pregnant females were caught so I assumed I missed spa=
wning.  With two dozen fish I was sure I had several pairs.  The water co=
nditions found at the time of collection were no measurable hardness, pH =
of 6.0 and a temperature of 75 F.
>From the literature the spawning process proceeds in typical sunfish fash=
ion.  The males construct a nest in the substrate and await a ripe female=
.  With the approach of a female, the male begins to display with fins fu=
lly extended.  The pair circle each other and after a short time the pair=
 stops circling, the female releases her eggs and the male simultaneously=
 fertilizes them.  The males then remain on their nests to fan and guard =
the eggs.  I maintained the Blackbanded Sunfish for the summer in a "comm=
unity" style 29 gallon aquarium in the house.  The 29 gallon tank is equi=
pped with a Whisper 1 power filter with a home made water current dissipa=
tor at the discharge.  In their natural habitat there is virtually no wat=
er current present. I am able to get adequate filtration with minimal cur=
rent.  Aeration is provided by a bubble wand attached to the back of the =
tank.  There is about two inches of gravel on the bottom and except for a=
 flower pot turned on its side and a few rocks, the bottom is bare to fac=
ilitate cleaning and fry collection (I will cover this later).  To help s=
atisfy their requirement of lower light levels, the light is attached to =
the back of the aquarium stand above the tank and a thick growth of Water=
 Sprite is maintained on the water surface.  This arrangement reduces the=
 light intensity significantly while still providing enough light for ade=
quate viewing.  The adult Blackbanded Sunfish will be wintered outside in=
 my shed and housed in a 20 gallon high aquarium.  Filtration is provided=
 by an adjustable flow Visi-Jet 100 internal power head attached to a spo=
nge filter  and an air driven sponge filter.  Lighting is provided by a f=
lorescent tube suspended above of the tank.   The light intensity can be =
lowered to appropriate levels by adjusting the distance the light is abov=
e the tank.  An inch and a half of gravel is provided along with the aqua=
tic plant Elodea or Anacharis as it is sometimes called.  This plant grow=
s especially well during the winter when the water temperature is below 5=
0 F.  Minimal heating is provided using a submersible heater set on a tim=
er.  This arrangement prevents freezing or major drops in temperature.  T=
he heat is manually controlled and used only when excessively cold.  In t=
he summer this tank is attached to a chiller and maintained at an optimal=
 temperature of 70 F for spawning and raising of fry during the hot summe=
r months.  Filtration is provided by a sponge filter attached to the chil=
ler intake line and by a power head attached to a sponge filter.  The she=
d is also equipped with a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan to prev=
ent heat buildups.
Initially I tried to acclimate the Blackbanded Sunfish to my tap water, w=
hich is hard and has a pH of about 6.8.  They started off doing well but =
within two weeks their health started to decline.  Their appetites decrea=
sed and the most noticeable change was that they lost most of their color=
.  Since it was clear they would not thrive on my terms I went to work tu=
rning their tank water into a close duplicate of their natural habitat.  =
On July 8, 1994 my efforts began.  The first problem to solve was how to =
soften the water with the least effort.  I decided to use a rechargeable =
ion exchange softening pillow, which is placed in the filter box.  Using =
a five gallon container and an extra power filter, I softened the water t=
o levels that could not be measured by my test kit.  I also added Blackwa=
ter Extract to the softened water.  The softening process takes about one=
 and a half to two hours per five gallons.  Prepared water is stored in f=
ive gallon bottled water containers with lids.  When I had prepared enoug=
h water, I changed the water and observed any changes.  Within 48 hours t=
he fishes natural color returned and they became active and hungry again.=
  Softening the water appears to be a very important factor for maintenan=
ce of healthy fish.
The next problem was how to acidify the water.  While softening the water=
, I added pH Down to the water till I reached a pH of 6.0 to 6.2.  The fi=
sh were slowly acclimated to this new water.  Once completely acclimated =
I sampled the tank water pH and found it to be 6.8 instead of 6.0.  I had=
 neglected to consider that my tap water has a high buffering capacity an=
d the pH will rebound to higher levels unless you exhaust the buffering c=
apacity of the water.  The next time I made water and adjusted the pH to =
6.0 I waited several hours and checked the pH again.  It had rebounded as=
 it had in the tank.  The pH was adjusted again and let to sit overnight.=
  This time the pH remained the same.  As an aid to the acidification and=
 conditioning process, I also filter the water through peat prior to stor=
age or use.  The completed water is tea colored, as it is in their native=
 habitat, and takes a day to make five gallons of water, but with the res=
ults I have gotten it is worth the trouble.  In the summer the sunfish in=
 the house are fed moderately every other day, and in the winter, when th=
ey are in the shed, they are fed sparingly every three or four days whene=
ver the water temperature rises above 50 F. Below 50 F the food in their =
stomachs digests so slowly that it can actually spoil before digestion is=
 complete, killing the fish.  Besides, I am trying to recreate their natu=
ral environment, and minimal feedings in the winter is part of it.  The f=
oods offered in the summer include fresh hatched brine shrimp, frozen and=
 freeze dried bloodworms, frozen glassworms, small live crickets, small l=
ive cut up garden worms, live  daphnia, frozen shrimp, live mosquito larv=
a, live cyclops, live black worms and any other small insect I can catch.=
  The winter diet for these fish will be the same as that in the summer e=
xcept for some of the live foods that cannot be cultured indoors, caught =
or bought.  As with my experiences with breeding Green Sunfish, the fish =
endured an average summer temperature (in the house and shed) of about 80=
 F and will experience average winter temperatures of about 40 F in the s=
hed.  Thirty-three percent water changes are made once a week spring, sum=
mer and fall.  Twenty-five percent water changes are made about once a mo=
nth in the winter (when water temperatures are consistently below 55 F). =
Don't be lax with water changes.  These fish may be small but they have b=
ig appetites and produce large amounts of waste. It is extremely importan=
t that all water added to the aquarium during water changes be the same t=
emperature, pH and hardness as the water in the aquarium or you run the r=
isk of stressing or killing the fish.  It is now  early August and all is=
 going well.  On August 8, 1994 I noticed that two of the Blackbanded Sun=
fish appeared to be fanning eggs and were chasing the other fish away fro=
m their designated territory.  No nests were formally constructed.  They =
simply chose natural depressions already existing in the gravel.  I immed=
iately began to consider the possibility that they were spawning but had =
to be sure.  The next night I noticed several fish approach the guarded t=
erritories slowly and deliberately.  Some were immediately chased away an=
d some were not.  It appears rival males and unripe females are chased aw=
ay immediately while ripe females are allowed to approach.  To all approa=
ching fish the guarding fish, or the male, reacts by extending his fins a=
nd then seems to look over the approaching fish.  If the male does not ch=
ase away that fish the odds are very good that it is a ripe female. The m=
ale then starts nudging her belly area with his mouth and body while swim=
ming in a circular path, with fins fully extended, around the female at a=
 45 degree angle.  The female stays mostly upright in a normal swimming p=
osition during this process.  The male was devoid of color, but the femal=
es' color was intense.  After a few moments of this behavior they stop sw=
imming, the female quivers, eggs are released and simultaneously fertiliz=
ed.  The male then chases the female away.  Even during the spawning proc=
ess, sex determination is virtually impossible.  Granted, there are color=
 differences during spawning, but immediately after spawning the colors o=
f the male and female return to normal and the sexes can no longer be dis=
tinguished.  During spawning when I briefly knew who was who it appeared =
the female, when viewed from above, was broader across the top of her bod=
y than the male.  This is by no means very accurate but does serve as a g=
uide in approximating the sexes, especially when spawning is near.  This =
spawning process continued till the next day.  The eggs are amber colored=
 and extremely small (no larger than 1/32 of an inch) and adhesive.  Clos=
e examination of the nesting areas showed eggs covering the nearby rocks.=
  The rocks were removed and placed into the rearing tank.  I now anxious=
ly waited for the eggs to hatch.  No chemicals were added for egg protect=
ion.  Clean, well filtered and aerated water is sufficient.  Based on my =
reference books the eggs of this type of sunfish hatch in 3-5 days depend=
ing on temperature.  The Blackbanded Sunfish eggs hatched in two days on =
August 11, 1994 at a water temperature of 76 F and a pH of 6.2.  The wigg=
lers were entirely clear and no visible markings could be seen.  Within 2=
4 hours eye spots became apparent and the wigglers started to take the fo=
rm of fish 24 hours after that.  Twenty-five percent water changes are ma=
de every week and so far all is well.
With regard to how long it takes for the wigglers to become free swimming=
, my references estimate a few days to about one week depending on water =
temperature.  By August 15, four days after hatching, all wigglers were f=
ree swimming.  I offered a very small quantity of brine shrimp but none w=
ere taken.  I fed them infusoria for the next two days.  Three days after=
 all were free swimming brine shrimp were again offered and accepted.  Fu=
rther experience has shown that infusoria is not necessary.  One to two d=
ays after the fish are free swimming they will accept newly hatched brine=
 shrimp.  Feedings began twice a day, once in the morning and once in the=
 evening.  The feedings require that the aeration and filtration be turne=
d down to a minimum.  This prevents the shrimp from being sucked into the=
 filtration system and aids the somewhat uncoordinated fry in catching th=
eir food.  The young fry cannot successfully capture the moving shrimp in=
 moving water.  With still water it takes them several attempts before th=
ey can capture the shrimp.  This will quickly pass as the fish grow and b=
ecome proficient swimmers.  It is easy to determine which fry are feeding=
.  Since their bodies are still transparent, consumed shrimp give the fry=
 orange bellies.  For variety the fry are also given fresh hatched mosqui=
to larva, live cyclops and microworms.  I estimate I have about 100 to 15=
0 Blackbanded Sunfish fry.  The Blackbanded Sunfish have continued to spa=
wn every week through the first week of September, stopped spawning for t=
he remainder of September and have spawned twice in the first week of Oct=
ober.  The last few spawnings occurred in the flower pot and in one case =
they spawned in the root mass of the floating water sprite due to the fac=
t that the flower pot was occupied by a male guarding eggs.  He was not a=
bout to let any others spawn anywhere on the bottom of the tank.  It appe=
ars that the Blackbanded Sunfish are adaptable and not particular about w=
here spawning takes place.  In all Blackbanded Sunfish spawnings I remove=
d as many of the eggs and/or wigglers as possible to ensure that none wou=
ld be eaten but on one occasion I decided to let the male guard the eggs =
and fry to see what would happen.  He did as good a job as devoted cichli=
d parents.  He continuously fanned the eggs and chased away any fish that=
 came close to his area.  Any wigglers that strayed to far were picked up=
 in his mouth and spit back into the nest.  Once the fry were free swimmi=
ng they both went their separate ways.
Once the fish are transferred to their winter quarters spawning will quic=
kly stop as the water temperature drops.  This will be a welcome relief b=
ecause all my available tank space is devoted to the rearing of the Black=
banded Sunfish fry at various stages of development.  This spawning behav=
ior is contrary to the literature which states that "The Blackbanded Sunf=
ish has a non-protracted spawning season and low lifetime reproductive po=
tential."1  The spawns have been small to moderate, averaging about 15 to=
 75 eggs, and have hatched in two to three days.  When I notice a spawn a=
rea it is covered with sheer material supported by a plastic frame (6" lo=
ng x 5" wide x 4" deep) to prevent the eggs from being eaten.  The males =
can still see through it, continue to guard the eggs and in one case spaw=
ned again on top of the egg guard.  The wigglers adhere to the inner wall=
s of the material and the entire egg guard with wigglers is carefully rem=
oved and placed in the rearing tank.  So far this is the best method I ha=
ve devised to collect fry from the Blackbanded Sunfish Community tank.  S=
everal months have passed and a few of the fry are now between =AA to =AE=
 inch, but most are about =AA inch.  The fry are still dependent on brine=
 shrimp, live cyclops and microworms and attempts will be made to wean th=
ese fish off the live foods as soon as they are large enough.  I was succ=
essful in doing this with the Green Sunfish and hope I will be able to su=
cceed with these fish.
As they have aged, the young sunfish are beginning to show physical attri=
butes of adult fish.  The Blackbanded Sunfish have developed a horizontal=
 black spot on the caudal peduncle and a vertical dark band through the c=
audal fin.  They also are developing black vertical stripes and the two t=
one black and salmon colors on their first dorsal spines (The first three=
 dorsal spines are black and the fourth is salmon colored) and front edge=
 of their ventral fins.  Their overall background body color is gold-silv=
er.  From my experiences with breeding Green Sunfish, cannibalism of the =
smaller fry by the larger fry began at about this time.  So far the large=
r fry have not attacked the smaller fry, as did the Green Sunfish.  My fe=
eling is that their mouths are too small to cause any damage at this age,=
 let alone swallow their smaller tankmates.  The Green Sunfish were much =
more aggressive and equipped with large mouths capable of easily swallowi=
ng their smaller tankmates.  This group of fish will be overwintered as n=
aturally as possible in my shed as described earlier, and I look forward =
to spring when I hope to experience additional spawnings of the Blackband=
ed Sunfish.