Re: This weeks fish o

At 01:24 AM 4/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
> All of last weeks fish orders should be out by the weekend. So thanks to
>you all for your orders . Here are this weeks avaliable species
>Haves- F Chrysotus, Sailfin shiners, L. Ommatta, E. evergladi, Flagfin
>shiners,
>
>Haves in limited amounts-L. Marginatus, Blackbanded sunfish, E. Zonatum,
>h. Formosa, redfin pickerel, redbelly dace............Water plants
>avaliable with all orders at no charge when avaliable (mostly nittella
>flexis) just ask. All fish 3 bucks  apeice except for the redfin pickerel
>10$ each. 12 fish minimum (waived for  a 2 pickerel
>order)...........Please add 12 $ box\shipping charge all orders first
>come first serve and unfullfilled orders will be returned. I have a
>Florida bait license and follow all state and federal regulations.

Mr. Rice,

I just recently subscribed to the nanfa list.  I heard of the organization
and I thought I would lurk out here to see what else I could learn.  I read
your article in last month's FAMA and was very impressed with the Flagfin
shiner.  What a beautiful fish.  I would like to attempt to care for some
of these little beauties...but your in Florida and I am in California...
as far as logistics is there any way I could get these fish?  is it legal
for me to care for them here? From your article this is what I think I know
about these fish:  65 - 71 degree F, ph 6.0-6.5, water "tannic", feed:
bloodworms, earthworms, mosquito larvae (unfortunatly I don't have a Peterson
Guide to look up native fish).  Several questions then:  how large does the
fish get?  are the fish wild?  since the FAMA article is it going to be hard
to supply this fish...because your right it is very attractive.  Should it be
set up in a tank all to itself or would it be a candidate for a community
setup?  Some of these ??'s answered I would like to put some in a community
tank with tetra and rasboras (peaceful community types) danios.  I would be
willing to set up an additional 10-20 gallon tank to accomodate some of these
fish?  Is it possible that you will have this fish in say approximately a
month from now?  If I were to attempt breeding with the species what would
you reccommend as a place to start?  Can they be paired?  If so, would 4 to 6
pair be a good place to start?  Is the water plant you mention in your message
native to the fishes habitat?  Instead of asking all of these questions should
I just join nanfa and then I would probably know where to go to get the
information without placing such a burden on you?  Sorry...the fish and your
organization(nanfa) seem like they are going in the right direction and at
this day and age that really says something.  Any information you could provide
would of course be appreciated.

Nancy Graham
graham at softcom_net