From: mcclurg luke e     <mcclurgl at acc_wuacc.edu>
To: robert a rice <robertrice at juno_com>
Cc: gkimber at juno_com, gwsnr at sunflower_com, bvoiers at aol_com
Subject: Re: cardinal shiners
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:59:30 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, robert a rice wrote:

> I doubt 1 guy with a dipnet could clean any fish out of a stream maybey
> the trash but certainly not all the fish........:) Id be glad to help
you
> get some locations. Even better Ill hook you up with some potential
> collecting partners. I collected the bleeding shiner in Rubidiox creek
in
> the town of Waynesville in Pulaski county Missourri they were very
> abundant and easy to collect with a 1 person seine. I have not
collected
> Cardinal shiners in Arkansas but the book fishes of Missouri has
> locations in Missouri where thay have been sampled.I'll forward this
note
> to others that can help. If you need more contacts let me know !!!
>

> Robert Rice
>

> " The Quality of a life is not measured in days it is measured in
legacy
> "
>
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:52:13 -0700 gkimber at juno_com writes:
> >Quite some time ago you wrote about capturing cardinal shiners near
> >fort smith arkansas.  If I recall correctly, you were recently
> >interested in finding some more.
> >
> >WHile I am normally stuck here in the desert,  I will be fortunate
> >enough to be sent to Amarillo Texas on business at the end of april.
> >Since this is over half way to north east arkansas, I hope to be able
> >to take a couple days extra off and drive there for a short collecting

> >expedition.
> >
> >I plan to be better prepared than I was for my last trip to the area
> >this last summer.
> >
> >If you are still interested in getting some cardinal shiners, I would
> >be willing to send you some if you could tell me where you got them
> >when you were in the area.
> >
> >If you still want to protect your sources, I can truely understand.
> >I'm a little hesitant to name the exact place that I have collected
> >specimens in fear that a horde of collectors would decend on the area
> >and clean the place.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Geoff Kimber
> >tucson,az

**********
To anyone interested: I will be in the Branson, MO. area  in late fall
(Oct. 5 thru 13)  and intend to use at least a couple of days for some
serious collecting.  There is a city park in Branson that has a creek
flowing through it (Roark Creek) that just looks "delicious".  I may even
make an attempt to fill the "great" (?)  :)  Robert Rice's shoes and make
a sojourn up to Waynseville myself.  I am after Cardinal/Bleeding Shiners
and Greensided Darters (I think they are legal to collect in Missouri,
anyone know for sure?) as well as any other 'pretties' that fall into my
nets.  I'm looking for 'partners in slime' :)  river slime that is, who
might want to team up.  Feel free to e-mail with any info./suggestions
you
may have.  Thank you,

Luke McClurg,  dedicated 'fishnerd'