Last call: Trading Post ads

The March Trading Post will be issued on Monday, March 9, 1998. I still
haven't heard from a lot of you folks whose ads have run for three
months in the TP and are going to be deleted, unless I hear from you.
These ads have a date of 11/97 in parentheses after the ad.

Also, new TP ads will be accepted for the March TP if I receive them
prior to March 9.  Please forward existing ad confirmation (that you
want it to run for another three months) or new ads at your earliest
opportunity. The February TP is printed below, for your review.
>North American Native Fishes Association (NANFA)
>Trading Post - February, 1998 Edition
>Readers are encouraged to distribute this listing  to other
>electronic forums, fish clubs, individuals and others who have an
>interest in North American native fishes. Member advertisements
>should be forwarded to the Trading Post Editor, Dwight D. Moody.
>NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: dwightmoody at hotmail_com, or by regular mail to:
>P.O. Box 214, East Montpelier, VT 05651.>
>NEW COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING POLICY: Commercial advertisers which pay for
>display ads or Trading Post (text only) ads in American Currents get
>complimentary text ads in the electronic version of Trading Post for
>three (3) months for every paid ad. Text ads for publication in
American
>Currents are 20 cents per word. Display ads in American Currents are
>$100 for full page, $50 for half page, $25 for quarter page and $12.50
>for eighth page. Membership in NANFA is not required for paid
>advertisers. Pass the word to potential advertisers !!!!!>
>Regional representatives which have ads in the
>Trading Post have their name in capital letters followed by a
>listing  of their region.  The Regional Representative activities
>area  at the NANFA web site (http://www.nanfa.org) has additonal
>information posted by the regional representatives.
>NOTE: NANFA assumes that all sales or trades of native fish are done
>in full compliance with applicable state and federal laws, rules and
>regulations and only after obtaining any necessary permits for
>collecting, maintaining, importing or exporting of native fish.
>Obtaining the necessary permits from the US Fish and Wildlife
>Service  and/or applicable State agencies is the sole responsibility
>of the parties involved in the transaction.  NANFA does not condone
>or tolerate illegal practices and encourages members to contact the
>office of their state's fish and wildlife department or regional
>office of the US Fish and Wildlife Service to obtain information and
>applications for any necessary permits.
>   COMMERCIAL ADVERTISEMENTS
>******************************************************>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------->
>  No commercial advertising for this edition.>
>PLEASE NOTE: the ads in the Announcements, Information
>Requests or Requests for Assistance and Member Sales/Trades have a
>date at the end of the message that indicates when it was first
>posted.  Remember that you have to contact the Trading Post Editor
>if  you want the ad to continue for another three (3) months.>
>ADS WHICH HAVE A DATE OF 11/97 WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE MARCH TRADING
POST
>UNLESS A NEW REQUEST TO PUBLISH IS RECEIVED BY THE EDITOR ON OR BEFORE
>FEBRUARY 25, 1998.  Check your ad!
>********************************************************* >
ANNOUNCEMENTS
>*********************************************************>
>PLAN TO ATTEND: NANFA 1998 NATIONAL CONVENTION
>NANFA's national convention will be held in Chattanooga, TN during
>June 5-7, 1998.  Tennessee has over 300 species of fish, the
>most biodiverse area in the US.  Chattanooga also features the
>Tennessee Aquarium, the largest freshwater aquarium in the US,
>along with a variety of historical and cultural sites.  More
>information will be posted in later editions of the Trading Post and
>will also be available on the NANFA discussion list. (01/98)>
>Coming in 1998 to European NANFA members and native fish enthusiasts
>domestically raised North American  native fish, including  Longear
>Sunfish, Dollar Sunfish, Pygmy Sunfish, Blackbanded Sunfish, Blue
>Spotted Sunfish and various shiners. Contact Keld Hansen , Damsigvej
>9, 9352 Denmark, Dybvad, Denmark for further details. (11/97)>

>PETER UNMACK (Arizona-Nevada Regional Representative)
>P.O. Box 1454, Tempe, AZ 85280.
>Phone # (602) 965-1578. Email: peter.unmack at asu_edu.
>I organize two major trips to southern Nevada, one in April, the
>other  in October (usually to Ash Meadows).  Other trips occur from
>time to  time, usually on short notice.  If you are interested in
>getting out  into the wilds contact me and let me know.  All are
>welcome to join  this ASU graduate student in some puddle pirating!
>(11/97)>
>   INFORMATION REQUESTS OR REQUESTS FOR ASSISTANCE
>********************************************************** >
>NEEDS HELP FOR RESEARCH PROJECT:
>Patricia Halpin , Department of Zoology, Oregon State University
>Corvallis, OR 97331 Phone #: (541) 737-5359; Fax #: (541) 737-0501.
>Email: halpinp at ava_bcc.orst.edu.  Seeking live specimens
>of any and all Fundulus species except F. heteroclitus for an
>ongoing  research project. Please contact her if you can help.
>(11/97)>
>   NON-COMMERCIAL MEMBER ADVERTISEMENTS:>   SALES AND  TRADES
> NOTE: members who fail to reciprocate in trading will have their ads
> removed from the Trading Post and may be subject to other sanctions.
> -------------------------------------------------------------------->
>ROBERT RICE (Florida regional representative)
>2213 Prytania Circle, Navarre, FL 32566
>Phone #: (904) 936-0097. Email: robertrice at juno_com.
>HAS (for individuals with organized breeding programs only):
>Pond reared Flagfin Shiners, various Pygmy Sunfish,
>Bluespotted Sunfish, Dollar Sunfish, Leptolucania ommata, Fundulus
>chrysotus, Bluefin Killie, F. cingulatus, Redfin Pickerel , and many
>other southeastern species. WANTS: Southern redbelly and Mountain
>Redbelly Dace, Tennessee Snubnose and Cherry Darters; Blackbanded
>Sunfish. (11/97)

John Brill- 61 Brookside Ave. Livingstone, NJ  07039
>Phone # (973) 533-1397
>HAS FOR TRADE: Enneacanthus chaetodon , E.gloriosus , E.
>obesus, Umbra pygmaea , Aphredoderus sayanus (Pirate Perch - very
>rare in NJ) , Etheostoma fusiforme , Fundulus heteroclitus ,
>Cyprinidon variegatus ovinus , Lucania parva, Syngnathus fuscus,
>Mendina beryllina and many other Atlantic coastal plain and
>estuarine species. WANTS: Lota lota , Archoplites interrupts ,
>Hiodon spp. ,  Aplodinotus cycleptus, Ictiobus and other sucker
>species, or anything  else I haven't had before.Write or call first;
>all correspondence  answered. Some recent bad experiences with
>deadbeat traders.  Only  interested in hearing from people who are
>serious about trading and  willing to reciprocate. (11/97)>

>Bill Voiers, 96 Angle St. PO Box 388 , Eureka Springs, AR 72632
>Phone #: (501) 253-9558,  Fax #: (501) 253-9558.
>HAS FOR TRADE: Etheostoma juliae, E. euzonum and other Arkansas
>native darters (excluding E. moorei) for any species of Nothonotus,
>excluding E. rufilineatum . (11/97)>

>Tim Wolfe -2911 Belle Aire Blvd. Theodore, AL 36582>Phone #: (334)
973-2524.
>HAS FOR TRADE: Flagfin shiners, sailfin shiners, Elassoma species,
>many others.ALSO HAS: tropicals including angels, guppies ,
>Corydoras  catfish for trade. WANTS : Various darters and Carolina
>shiners for   breeding program. (11/97)>

>Warren Lund 1916 Indiana Ave. Kenner, LA 70062-6223>Phone # (504)
461-8169
>HAS: Heterandria formosa, Poecilia latipinna, Gambusia affinis,
>Etheostoma  swaini, Elassoma zonatum, grindle worm , vinegar eel,
>hornwort,  cabomba and java moss starters. WANTS: Elassoma
>species, Etheostoma  blennioides, E.spectabile, Enneacathus sunfish,
>others. (11/97)

> >Peter Rollo 2308 Cedar Lane, Secane, PA 19018.
>Phone # (610) 543-1660. Email: prollo at juno_com
>HAS FOR SALE: domestic raised  ( fall 96 ) Banded and Black banded
>sunfish,  Elassoma evergladei (Pygmy sunfish), Heterandria formosa,
>also  seasonally avaliable tadpole madtoms, eastern mudminnows &
>bluespotted sunfish. WANTS: Wild caught H. formosa,  E. evergladei
>and L. goodei. (11/97)>

 >Bill Ballard- 6811 Moss Oaks Lane, Elberta, AL 36530.
>Phone #: (334) 987-1112.
>HAS FOR TRADE OR SALE: many fresh and saltwater coastal species,
>including bluespotted sunfish, dollar sunfish, flagfin shiners,
>broadstripe  shiners, F. chrysotas, F. cingulatus, F. notatus, pygmy
>sunfishes and  others. (11/97)>

>Mike Whitfield- 7005 Antler Lane, Harrison, TN 37341-9418
>Phone #: (423) 344-8119.>HAS: a variety of snubnose darters and
>Tennessee shiners. Interested in meeting with locals who collect and
>keep natives ! (11/97)>

 >Kris Haggblom, Nanuet, NY 10954
>WANTS TO BUY: Fundulus zebrinus,  F. euryzonus, F. julisia, Adinia
>xenica, Lucania goodei, any Elassoma species. (11/97)>

>Bruce Scott 520 East Lake Hazel Road, Merdin ID 83642.
>Phone #: (208) 888-7143. HAS: dwarf crayfish (Cambarellus >shufeldtii).
>WANTS: Notropis lutrensis, Etheostoma nigrum, Noturus
>leptacanthus, Heterandria formosa, any Elassoma species, prairie
>crayfish (Procambarus gracilis). (11/97)>

>Dave Schleser, 310 Appian Way , Dallas, TX 75216
>Phone #: (214) 943-2025. E-mail: natimg at flash_net.
>HAS FOR TRADE OR SALE: many species sporatically avaliable.
>WANTS: F. Leneolatus. (11/97)>

>Laura Burdge, 1711 Cleveland Ave., Hamilton, OH 45013
>WANTS: Lepomis humilis, Chrysomus erythrogaster, Enneacanthus
>chaetedon, Cottus bairdi semiscaber, and Catostomus commersoni.
>(11/97)>
>ROBERT CARILLIO (Ohio Regional Representative)
>509 Genessee Ave, Warren, OH 44483.>Phone # (303) 847-1714.
>WANTS: Sources for marine native coldwater species suitable for the
>aquarium. (11/97)>

Ron Romigh 604 Allen Avenue, Monaca, PA 15061-1606.
>Phone #: (412) 775-6112. Email: rromigh at ccia_com.
>WANTS TO BUY: Lucania goodei, F. Zebrinus ,colorful
>breedable darters, E. evergladi, E. okeefenokee, E.boelkei ,
>E. okatie, E.spring ,  Ennecanthus obesus, E.chaetodon ,
>Lepomis marginatus,  L. humilus and L. symmetricus. (11/97)>

>Tyson Lagillandaie, 8483 Blue Lake Dr., San Diego, CA 92119
>Phone #:  (619) 462-1643. HAS FOR SALE: Captive
>raised Longear Sunfish (Kansas subspecies - they are the beautiful
>subspecies as seen in Robert Rice's TFH articles), tadpole madtoms
>domestically raised - a first perhaps?) , bluefin killies and many
>new species (including Dollar Sunfish and Orangespot Sunfish) in the
>spring  of 1998 ! $4.00 per fish plus shipping or will trade for
>other  Lepomis species. (11/97)>

>Andrew Borgia, P.O Box 4346, Key West, FL 33041
>Phone # (305) 294-8739.HAS FOR TRADE: A great variety of marine
>specimens and inverts for trade, also has some Key West herps for
>trade.  WANTS: Interested in a great variety of North American
>species for a private preserved collection. (11/97)>

>Herman Meeus, De Reet 6, B 2160 Wommelgem, Belgium.
>WANTS: Back issues of American Currents, Darters and Lateral Line
>for use in the Belgian Killifish Association's Killi Kontakt
>magazine. Also  interested in articles on North American killifish
>and pupfish.  (11/97)>

>Roger Hockney, 4  Whitewalls Close, Compton, Newbury, Berks,
>United Kingdom, RG20 6QG. Phone #: 011 - 44 - 635 - 578 - 679.
>Email: Roger at minnow_demon.co.uk
>WANTS TO BUY: frost tolerant North American Minnows, Killies, eggs,
>etc. (11/97)

Tom Gray, 1 Bruce Close, Stock Green Westerhope, Newcastle Upon
>Tyne,United Kingdom NES 5LH. Phone # 011 - 44 - 91 - 286 - 4215.
>WANTS: information on breeding Southern Redbelly Dace,  back issues
>of  American Currents, and any sources for killie eggs. (11/97)>

>Eric Hollis, 19 Stapleton Avenue, Speke, Liverpool, Marseyside,
>United Kingdom L24 OSE.>WANTS: interested in meeting other UK keepers
of
>North American Natives. Interested in exchanging fish eggs or fish
>when available and legal.Particularly interested in species suitable
>for pond rearing. (11/97)>

DWIGHT D. MOODY (New England and New York regional representative)
>P.O. Box 214, East Montpelier, VT  05651
>Phone #: home - (802)476-0685; work (802)241-3482.
>Email address: dwightmoody at hotmail_com
>HAS:Hetandria formosa. ALSO HAS OR CAN GET:  a wide variety of
>Vermont species between mid-April and the end of November, including
>Fundulus diaphanus,  northern redbelly dace, slimy sculpins,
>trout-perch, burbot, various minnows, catfish,  shiners, etc. (11/97)>
>Jeff Fullerton R.D.2 Box 390 Mt. Pleasant, PA 15666
>Phone #: 412-887-8688.  Email: tcmajorr at westol_com
>HAS: Pond bred Blackbanded & Bluespotted Sunfish ,
>Eastern Mudminnow (very  prolific), Mosquitofish. Possibly avalible
>in the near future: Dollar Sunfish & Eastern Starhead Topminnow
>(Fundulus escambiae). ALSO HAS: a  variety of pond & aquarium
>plants.  WANTS : Bantam Sunfish ( Lepomis symmetricus) , Slough
>Darter  (Etheostoma gracile), Lake Chubsucker (Erimyzon sucetta) ,
>Ironcolor  Shiner - (Notropis chalybaeus) & Olympic Mudminnow
>(Novumbra  hubbsi). Prefer stock from northern part of range. (12/97) >

>RAY WOLFF,  6510 Helke Rd. Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
>(Wisconsin Regional Representative). Phone # (715) 424-0259.
>ANNOUNCEMENT:  Southern Wisconsin members interested in
>collecting, meeting or starting a regional newsletter please contact
>me.  HAS: Fundulus lucia, Elassoma everladei pensacola, Iowa Darter,
>Brook Stickleback, Central Mudminnow, Tadpole Madtom and other
>midwest and southeast fish.  ALSO HAS: Information or help with
>sunfish, Elassoma, or Fundulus problems, setups, whatever. WANTS:
>Elassomas, with location; any killifish, native or not; Fundulus
>pulverus; plants (at least somewhat aquatic); and
>freshwater invertebrates.  All requests answered.  (01/98)>

>Phillip E. Russell, RWMC, 201 South Palm Dr., Blythe, CA 92225
>(daytime work address), E-mail: russel7 at gte_net
>Phone # home - (760) 921-3734, work - (760) 922-2541.
>WANTS TO BUY: Heterandria formosa, Ellasoma evergladii, and
>Leptolucania omata. (01/98)

John Laurent, P.O. Box 1018, Bartow, FL 33831
(2/98)>>******************************************************
> All ads will run for 3 months unless otherwise requested.   If you'd
> like to add a new ad or change your existing ad on this list please
> contact Dwight D. Moody, Trading Post Editor.
> Email address:  dwightmoody at hotmail_com.
> Regular mail address: P.O. Box 214, East Montpelier VT  05651.
an
>email to:  nanfa-request at aquaria_net.  For more information about
>NANFA, visit  our web page at http://www.nanfa.org/.
>/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
http://www.nanfa.org>
Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish and remained
within it for three days and three nights. Afterwards,
he was "vomited" (literal translation) onto the beach
to go and minister to the people of Ninevah (Jonah 2:1-11).
While we often find references in aquarium books
concerning the first instances of fishkeeping
by humans, this appears to be the first instance
of humankeeping by a fish!