"Norman Dennis Edelen, Jr." <normane at hevanet_com>: Re: NANFA-- Hellbenders

From: "Norman Dennis Edelen, Jr." <normane at hevanet_com>
To: <nanfa at aquaria_net>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Hellbenders
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:16:51 -0800

Hi All,

>From what I understand, Cope's Giant Salamander (Dicamptodon copei) is a
separate species from the Pacific Giant Salamander (Dicamptodon ensatus).
Both species occur in my area, and both of which most often remain in
their
larval form into adulthood.  I have never seen the terrestrial form of
either species.

In the aquarium the Pacific Giant Salamander seems quite adaptable.  It
eats
earthworms readily.  It doesn't seem too intolerant of high temperatures,
as
I have maintained them through the summer months, when my tanks often
reach
the high 80's.  I have never kept them in an unfiltered tank, but rather
one
with undergravel filterplates powered with powerheads.  This supplies
constant current, which they seem to like, and it keeps the water well
aerated.   I have seen Cope's Giant Salamander, but have never kept them
in
captivity.

Norm