bgcajun at juno_com: Re: NANFA-- black strip topminnows

From: bgcajun at juno_com
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Cc: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- black strip topminnows
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:21:58 -0600

Hi Geoff,

Do you have both sexes? Males show larger dorsal and anal fins that are
pointed somewhat,  with maybe a pale yellow-orange tint. The female of
the species has the smaller, rounded fins that are clear.

If so, then separate the sexes for at least a week, while conditioning
them on live foods if available. If not, use whatever foods you have.

Set up a twenty gallon tank equipped with whatever filter system you have
handy, some gravel on the bottom and floating plants for cover for the
females just in case the male tries to act the bully. (This isn't usually
the case, but it won't hurt to give them some cover.)

You'll also need some bottom spawning mops constructed of nylon yarn for
the egg
laying site. These are generally constructed by making twenty-five or so
turns around a Reader's Digest and tying off one end and cutting the
strands apart from the bottom end.

After both sexes are well-conditioned, place one male and two females
into the tank and watch for the adults to begin investigating the
spawning mops. The male will try to guide each female to the mop(s) so
that they can spawn. Collect the eggs after 8-12 hours by retrieving the
mop from the aquarium and gently squeezing the excess water from the mop,
then placing it in a towel for 5-10 minutes. In the meantime fill a
butter-container, or any other small container equipped with a lid,  to
just enough water to cover the eggs.

Take the spawning mop out of the towel and check for eggs by lifting the
strands. If the eggs are present, then gently remove them from the yarn
with your fingers and place them into the container. Don't worry about
not seeing the eggs, they're fairly large and if not newly layed, are
hard enough for you to roll between your fingertips without damage. Cover
the egg incubating container with the lid, store in a dark place in your
fish-room and check them daily for any white, fuzzy eggs that have become
fungused. Remove them and return the container to it's storage place.
When viable, the eggs will begin to show the eye-spots as the embryo's
begin developing.

The eggs incubate at room temperature for 14-17 days and the fry are fed
baby brine shrimp after hatching.

Good luck and please contact me for any further information and/or
questions.

Regards,

BG