JHemdal <JHemdal at aol_com>: NANFA-- Re: Brook silversides

From: JHemdal <JHemdal at aol_com>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re:  Brook silversides
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:07:04 EST

All:

  I have tried three times to collect these fish in small quantity and
bring
them back alive, and failed every time.  The first time, I just handled
them
as carefully as I would any delicate "minnow" - and they all died soon
after
removing them from seine.  The second time I was prepared with ice packs
chill their holding bags, as well as bottled oxygen...but they all died
within
an hour.  The third time, I used MS-222 as an anesthetic, and got 10 fish
survive three hours of transit time, but they died once removed from the
treated water when I tried to place them into a receiving tank.
   The only reason I kept on trying with these fish is that when I worked
for
the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago back in the mid-1980's, they had a sole
brook
silversides on exhibit that lived for at least two years, and was very
hardy.
Nobody there really knew how this fish was handled initially, but it's
presence in that display tank kept driving me on to try to display this
species myself.  I've since written that one case off as a "fluke", and
have
stopped killing these fish in a vain attempt to keep them alive in
captivity.
However, I'd welcome ideas from anyone who has been able to overcome the
apparent transport problem with this species.

jh
The Toledo Zoo Aquarium

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org