BGran83736 <BGran83736 at aol_com>: NANFA-- RE: silversides

From: BGran83736 <BGran83736 at aol_com>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- RE: silversides
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:31:47 EST

Hi Ya'll,

As an afterthought to the subject of taking freshwater silversides, I
have
these additional comments to make:

#1: Don't put a net on them! They immediately lose scales; it's not that
you
can see any scale loss because first of all, the scales are invisible to
our
eyes!

#2: In the netting process, besides the unseen scale loss, the fish are
so
fragile that any traumatic capture increases the risk of total systematic
failure! Ever try to do CPR on a tiny shiner? Impossible, and the damage
has
already been done!

#3: Try a different capture method involving a clear plastic bag,
surrounding
the silverside minnows, once you've baited them into a compromising
position.
Then gently transport them via my method of an aeration pump powering a
sponge
filter and an ice-chest container in your vehicle.

Try this and let us know of any results!

BG

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org