"Norman Dennis Edelen, Jr." <normane at hevanet_com>: Re: NANFA-- Brook silversides

From: "Norman Dennis Edelen, Jr." <normane at hevanet_com>
To: <nanfa at aquaria_net>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Brook silversides
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:40:38 -0800

Hello All,

In Oregon I have found that in the summer months redside shiners also
expire
within minutes of capture.  They are often dead in the seine.  In the
winter
no problems.  I speculate that being pulled from 50 degree water into 90+
degree air is enough of a shock to do them in.

When collecting for live specimens, I find winter to be most productive.
Pulling fish from 40 degree water into 40 degree air and them
transporting
them in a bucket seems to reduce mortality.  I never collect live
specimens
in the summer.

Norm