"Dwight D. Moody" <dwight.moody at mailexcite_com>: Re: NANFA-- Thinking about this............

From: "Dwight D. Moody" <dwight.moody at mailexcite_com>
To: "robert a rice" <robertrice at juno_com>
<jbondhus at lkdllink_net>
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Thinking about this............
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 17:06:16 -0700

I fully support this document as a position paper.  I also would like to
share some
interesting observations concerning my communications with various staff
of the VT
Fish and Wildlife Department.

I have had some very productive conversations with the fisheries staff
here, which
are genuinely supportive of captive breeding programs, even ones that
involve threatened/endangered
species.  The staff of the Non-game and Natural Heritage Program were
much more reserved.
 Apparently, there is a major difference in mindset between the groups.
Fisheries
people see the obvious benefits of captive breeding/restocking programs,
after all,
that is part of their job as it relates to game fish.  In essence, they
feel that
if a species is having problems, give it a little technical assistance
and restock
it into currently suitable environments from which it was extirpated,
thereby jump-starting
the species' recovery.
Nongame fishes, like darters, are just a little more problematic than
trout or other
game fish, and they seem to welcome research efforts concerning
propagation of other
species.  This view tends to  view recovery as simply a matter of
propagating and
stocking sufficient numbers to establish a self-propagating population.
The protection
of ecosystems tends to be viewed as less important than solving the
problems of propagation.

The NNHP personnel have a totally different mindset.  They view the
problem of threatened/endanged
species from a ecological point of view that encompasses the entire
biotype.  In
their view, the best way to  restore the threatened/endangered species is
to restore
the environment, after which the species will recover on its own.
Because of this
view, they seem to view removing any extant members of a threatened
population as
potentially threatening the recovery, as you may be removing the brood
fish necessary
for recovery when the environment is restored.  Unfortunately, this view
assumes
that there will be no events that will occur while the recovery process
happens to
either further degrade the environment or wipe out the species.

As may be obvious, the best avenue to facilitate recovery is actually a
melding of
both approaches.  Unfortunately, doing this may take a third party that
can see the
benefits and drawbacks of each approach.  This is where NANFA can help,
as I believe
we can work both sides of the issue for the benefit of the environment,
the species
and to enhance the scientific knowledge concerning these species'
ecological requirements
and breeding/rearing needs.

Perhaps it is time for us to offer our assistance in this regard.  I
think we are
up to the job.
---
Dwight D. Moody
P.O. Box 214
East Montpelier VT  05651-0214
802-476-0685 (home), 802-241-3482 (work)
One of the earliest Christian symbols was the fish
(Greek: icthys, which was an abbreviation for the Greek
words in the phrase: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior).
Thus, disciples could identify each other by their use
of the fish symbol, which continues to be used today.
Jonah was swallowed by a huge fish and remained
within it for three days and three nights. Afterwards,
he was "vomited" (literal translation) onto the beach
to go and minister to the people of Ninevah (Jonah 2:1-11).
While we often find references in aquarium books
concerning the first instances of fishkeeping
by humans, this appears to be the first instance
of humankeeping by a fish!

> [...]
>tragic that in a country with so many resources, we cannot make
>certain that we ensure the survival of all of our native
>species.  Let's do something about it.  Please contact me and
>volunteer to help on this project in any way that you choose.
>If you are already working on rare fish conservation  let us
>know so interested members can network with you.  Fill out the
>enclosed form and send it in today, before you forget.  Let's
>not wait for the government to do it, let's get in and make a
>real contribution ourselves.
>
>Hubbs, C.  & Jensen, B. L.  (1984): Extinction of Gambusia
>amistandensis, an endangered fish. Copeia 1984:529-530
>
>Maitland, P & Evans, D (1986):The role of captive breeding in
>the conservation of species Int. Zoo Yb. 24/25:66-74
>
>Minckley, W. & Deacon, J. (1991):Battle against extinction The
>University of Arizona Press p205
>
>Moyle, P & Yoshiyama R. (1994):Protection of aquatic
>biodiversity in California Fisheries, Vol. 19, No. 2:
>
>Schmidt, K. (1990) Endangered, threatened, and special-status
>fishes of North America, 3rd edition American Currents Mar-May
>1990
>
>Schmidt, K. (1993) Putting back the pieces American Currents
>Spring 1993
>
>U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1985): Revised Maryland Darter
>Recovery Plan. U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Newton Corner,
>Ma 38pp
>
>U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service (1992):Report to the
>Congress:Endangered and Threatened Species Recovery Program. U.
>S. Dept. of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service,
>Washington, D. C 1992 280pp
>
>Wheeler, T (1991): Maryland darter may have vanished American
>Currents summer 1991:27-28 or Baltimore Evening Sun July
>29,1991
>
>Williams, J., Sada, D., Williams, C., et al. (1988) American
>Fisheries Society Guidelines for Introductions of Threatened
>and Endangered Fishes 1988 Fisheries, Vol. 13, no 5
>
>Williams, J., Johnson, J., Hendrickson, D., Contreras-Balderas,
>S., Williams, J., Navarro-Mendoza, M., McAllister, D., &
>Deacon, J. (1989)  Fishes of North America Endangered,
>Threatened, or of Special Concern: 1989 Fisheries, Vol. 14, No
>6.
>
>                ADDITIONAL SUGGESTED REFERENCES
>
>Campbell, R.  Editor Rare and Endangered Fishes and Marine
>Mammals of Canada
>     (1984) Canadian Field Naturalist 98(1)
>     (1985) Canadian Field Naturalist 99(3)
>     (1987) Canadian Field Naturalist 101(2)
>
>Johnson, J. (1987) Protected Fishes of the United States &
>Canada American Fisheries Society
>
>Langton, R. (1993) Killifish Conservation Handbook American
>Killifish Association
>
>Miller, R., Williams, J., & Williams, J. (1989) Extinction's of
>North American Fishes During the Past Century Fisheries, Vol.
>14, No. 6
>
>Ono, R., Williams, J., & Wagner, A. (1983) Vanishing Fishes of
Association
http://www.nanfa.org

http://www.mailexcite.com