"D. Martin Moore" <archimedes at localink4_com>: Re: NANFA-- stupid sunfish owner's tricks

From: "D. Martin Moore" <archimedes at localink4_com>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- stupid sunfish owner's tricks
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 09:47:28 +0000

> I looked on the floor and saw the mud sunfish flapping there.  He had
> apparently grabbed my finger and was thrown in the air as I pulled back
> from the tank!

He, he.  That brings to mind the story of  "Scott's Flying Fish".
Back in the 80's a group of us fish types took a trip to Skidaway
Island (off Georgia's coast).  They have a small public aquarium
there, and most of us liked to hang around in the "back" to compare
notes.  Most of the aquaria were uncovered.  One of our group noticed
that burrfish were curious, and would swim toward a finger waggled in
the water.  He was busily enticing two of the creatures, oblivious to
a third which was making full steam toward his finger, mouth agape!
I got as far as warning: "That fish is going to bi...." when he let
out a fierce yelp and jerked back his hand.  The fish, which had
latched firmly to his finger, flew across the room and smacked up
against a refrigerator.  Everyone then shouted and  milled about in
confusion and anger, as I was the only one who witnessed the deed.
After everybody's nerves were settled, we all had a good laugh.  The
fish was returned to the tank  apparently no worse for the wear, and
was thenceforth known as Scott's Flying Fish.

No doubt the bite was painful, as any who are familiar with a
burrfish's mouth structure will relate.

Prost,

Martin

Greater American Freshwater Fishes Resource Site (GAFFeRs):
http://www.localink4.com/~archimedes/

"Fie on thee, fellow!  Whence come these fishes?" - Scheherazade

"Any fish with good teeth is liable to use them." - Wm. T. Innes
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org