RSRICHMOND at aol_com: Re: NANFA-- squawfish

From: RSRICHMOND at aol_com
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- squawfish
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:55:19 -0500 (EST)

Interesting language problem here.

> I thought about the situation of the squawfish in my part of the
country.
This fish is a piscivore which eats Columbia River salmon smolts as they
migrate downstream.<

Would someone look up whether "squawfish" is the currently accepted
Bureau of
Fisheries common name for this fish (also what's its scientific name, for
us
easterners)?

The word "squaw" denoting a female Native American is extremely offensive
many native Americans. (Rather like the Texas coneflower, a species of
Echinacia unknown to alternative medicine, which my sainted sixth grade
teacher taught me to call "niggerhead" in 1950.)

The word is supposed to be a shortened form of something like
"sunkasquaw", a
word in a New England or Middle Atlantic Algonkian language, and the
original
word may have been an honorific at one time. (I can probably get more
information on this point from a couple of online Algonkianists I know.)

But this fish probably needs a new common name, if it hasn't already got
one.

Bob Richmond
Knoxville TN
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org