"Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>: NANFA-- offensive fish name

From: "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- offensive fish name
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:47:34 +0000

> Would someone look up whether "squawfish" is the currently accepted
Bureau of
> Fisheries common name for this fish (also what's its scientific name,
for us
> easterners)?

Yes, it's currently accepted.  The Northern squawfish (Ptychocheilus
oregonensis) and the Colorado squawfish (P. lucius) are different
species.

> The word "squaw" denoting a female Native American is extremely
offensive to
> many native Americans.
> The word is supposed to be a shortened form of something like
> "sunkasquaw", a word in a New England or Middle Atlantic Algonkian
> language, and the original word may have been an honorific at one
> time. (I can probably get more information on this point from a
> couple of online Algonkianists I know.)

The term squaw is indeed offensive to Indians.  I've also heard it
may have been taken from a derogatory French term.

> But this fish probably needs a new common name, if it hasn't already
got one.

There is indeed a movement to have the common name changed to
bigmouth minnow or something like that.  I'll get back to you shortly
with some details.

Regards.

Jay DeLong

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org