peter.unmack at ASU_Edu: Re: NANFA-- Endengered species

From: peter.unmack at ASU_Edu
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Endengered species
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 11:49:36 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Harlay wrote:

> I am a french Hobbyist and I kept at home Girardinichthys viviparus
> and Xiphophorus clemenciae,  two species i have found in the endengered

> list !!!
> could you give me some informations: why are this species endengered
and
> what could I do to help them ?

Xiphophorus clemenciae appears threatened largely by having a limited
distribution range, it is known from a couple of areas, but populations
are thought to be small and fragmentated.  Girarinichthys viviparus maybe
in more dire circumstances.  Apparently habitat destruction has made this
species rare.  All you can do to help them is to breed them and spread
them around to other aquarists making them aware that these are
threatened species and that efforts need to be made to keep them going in

captivity.

Tootles

Peter J Unmack 			peter.unmack at asu_edu
DESERT FISHES RULE: To boldly thrive where no other fish can make it!

Australian desert fishes pages at ozdesertfish.base.org (don't forget to
visit the Desert Fishes Council pages too)
Native Fish Australia pages at www.nativefish.asn.au
North American Native Fishes Association at www.nanfa.org

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org