"Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>: NANFA-- Dambusia, etc.

From: "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Dambusia, etc.
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 22:26:22 +0000

There have been some unique discussions lately, for sure.  Regarding
the Damnbusia topic, I don't recall anyone saying they had a personal
hatred towards the fish or that it was "intrinsically evil".  I think
BG Granier, who first advocated stomping the fish when found in
non-native waters, likes the fish as well as his beloved killies
providing the fish remains in its native environment.  I'll admit BG
was a little animated when he described the fish, though  :-)

We're not talking about dealing with an occasional wayward fish;
we're talking about millions of them which have disrupted aquatic
ecosystems.  I'm with BG in recommending the removal and swift death
of this fish from non-native waters.  I don't think expressing this
attitude has a negative effect on NANFA's reputation.  I think it
shows that we are conservation-minded.  Of course it's a waste of
time; a person could catch and kill these fish for the rest of their
life and not solve the problem.  Like a thousand other non-natives,
the fish is here to stay.  It's world-wide dispersal isn't part of
any Plan.  We screwed up.  We can undo it to an extent in places like
Ash Meadows.  I tip my cap to folks like Peter Unmack who are doing
what they can to protect the native species suffering from Gambusia
introduction.

Dwight Moody referred to a posting from BG about disclaimers on email
messages, but I didn't get BG's message, so I'm not sure what it was
about.  If it's what it sounds like, though, I think it's very wrong
to have disclaimers on anything we say here.  This email group is an
arena for discussion, not a public forum.  I don't want to have to
predict what's going on in the minds of each potential reader every
time I compose a message, decide who might find it offensive, and add
a disclaimer of any sort.  Of course, this is different for public
releases.

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org