peter.unmack at ASU_Edu: Re: NANFA-- Concerns about "Dambusia", etc. -Reply

From: peter.unmack at ASU_Edu
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Concerns about "Dambusia", etc. -Reply
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 15:23:45 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Doug Robert Myers wrote:

> I appreciate the sentiment.  G. affinis is native to Texas and I would
hate
> to think what mosquito populations would be like here if we didn't have
> them.  You are also welcome to send them here.  I can release them in
> streams, lakes and ponds to which they naturally occur and possibly
> strengthen the genetic integrity abit as well as feed them to my hungry
> larger specimens and stock my backyard pond.

That is absolutely the most nieve thing I have heard anyone say in NANFA.

That is exactly why most states and fisheries professionals are against
getting involved with aquarists and they will not allow people to keep
and collect native fish as they will release them elsewhere.  NEVER
RELEASE ANY FISH ANYWHERE, NOT EVEN FROM WHERE YOU CAUGHT IT EVER, UNDER
ANY CIRCUMSTANCES once it has been in aquaria, unless carefully
supervised
by authorized personal.  That will do NANFA more harm than picking the
eyes out of damnbusia and every scale before killing them.

That whole attitudes ignore the fact that present day taxonomy may not
be correct and that locally adapted populations exist.  Introducing fish
willy nilly can reduce the fitness of these populations through
hybridization, whether within, or between species.

Tootles

Peter Unmack
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org