BGran83736 at aol_com: NANFA-- Brine shrimp hatchery

From: BGran83736 at aol_com
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Brine shrimp hatchery
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:54:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

I've tried a few of the commercially available brine shrimp hatcheries
and
thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Some of them hang like an IV bag and are fairly functional, if you have a
place to hang it from and don't mind salt water overspray and/or spills.
Other methods like gallon jars are useful too,  but also have the
overspray
problem. Droplets of brine solution leave the container and can coat a
wall
or surface with a fine white dusting of salt. Especially the wide-mouth
containers.

I have found that the cheapest, cleanest and most convenient container is
two-liter coke plastic bottle equipped with a length of rigid tubing
inserted
into the bottle and connected to your air source via flexible airline
tubing.
The small opening of this container confines just about all of the spray
within the bottle.

Premix the salt solution in a five gallon bucket to a specific gravity
recommended by the brine shrimp's source and you'll have enough solution
ready to do several cultures of brine shrimp, either all at once or one
bottle at a time. I usually reuse the brine solution two or three times,
each
hatching of a teaspoon of eggs at a time.

When you're ready to harvest the brine shrimp, simply disconnect the
flexible
airline from the pump, wait about five minutes for the nauplii to collect
at
the bottom of the plastic bottle and then siphon them into your net or
strainer. Save the brine solution and reuse it until it becomes cloudy,
then
use new water. When the two-liter bottle gets a film on the inside
surface,
recycle it and use a clean one.

Regards,

BG
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org