Hy Finkelstein <HFINKELSTEIN at Cerritos_edu>: NANFA-- Heterandria Formosa

From: Hy Finkelstein <HFINKELSTEIN at Cerritos_edu>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Heterandria Formosa
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:41:46 -0800 (PST)

I have read about a study done by a University class concerning the
co-habitation of Heterandria and Gambusia.  I could probably find the
original
study if it is absolutely needed.  However it went something like this:
Three artificial ponds were created (children's wading pools) with fish
and
plants.  In the first was Heterandria alone.  The second contained
Heterandria
and Gambusia.  The third contained Gambusia alone.  The results at the
end of
the study (at least the summer season) were:  In pool #1 were a lot of
Heterandria of many sizes and even sexes.  In pool #2 there was a small
number
of Heterandria which were predominantly large females and a large amount
of
Gambusia.  In pool #3 there were a small increase in the number of
Gambusia.
It was a short-term study.  Nothing was predicted as to what would have
happened if the study went on for many years.
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org