"Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>: NANFA-- re: J L Weigert- pike removal

From: "Jay DeLong" <jdelong at nwifc_wa.gov>
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- re: J L Weigert- pike removal
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:08:35 +0000

J.L. Weigert said:

> Heres my question about all this:  What about the native fish there,
the
> ones that belonged?  The pike were obviously there and a danger, but
surely
> there was something native they were preying on.  There had to have
been a
> better method to remove the pike, such as seining the waters with a
large holed
> siene, that hte pike wouldn't fit through?

Good question.  The ultimate goal was not to prevent predation on the
lake's fish, but to prevent any pike from surviving and the species
finding its way to other bodies of water.  This was done at the
expense of the lake's existing fauna.

The suggested methods coming from concerned Californians and
environmentalists all had flaws:

seining--impossible to capture all the fish.  A large holed seine
would have removed only the adults, so seining would have to be an
endless effort.  Plus, there would have been no way to capture all
the fish. I'll bet round-the-clock seining would heve removed less
than 10% of the fish.  Look at their habitat preference and imagine
the seining nightmare you'd have on your hands;

fishing--impossible to catch all the fish.  I think the state
feels anglers have a tendency to move fish, too;

rotenone--effects on non-target organisms and the potential health
hazards we've already discussed.  Perhaps they should have tried the
wettable rotenone powder first although it's more difficult to apply
than the liquid;

electrocution--impossible to catch all the fish, but electrofishing
would be better than seining or angling, and is farly easy to do in
areas where seining is impossible.

Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org