	----------
	From:  robertrice at juno_com [SMTP:robertrice at juno_com]
	Sent:  Thursday, October 16, 1997 5:51 PM
	To:  BGran83736 at aol_com; nanfa-bod at aquaria_net;
nanfa at aquaria_net; nanf at actwin_com; Bill.White at 110_sunshine.com
	Cc:  Bock, Robert; cdscharpf at wbdoner_com; dhalls at juno_com;
robertrice at juno_com; jbondhus at lkdllink_net; BGran83736 at aol_com
	Subject:  NANFA-BOD-- Re: OCT ads updated

	On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:58:12 -0400 (EDT) BGran83736 at aol_com
writes:
	>Dear Members,
	>
	>RE: Oct Ads "up-dated" :
	>
	>What's the deal about the native fishes being offered soon for
sale
	>from the fellow in Denmark, offering native sunfish and
shiner's for
	sale? Do
	>you think that as an Organization, such ads should be placed on
the
	NANFA  Trading ><sic Post Ad page?

	Yes I think that as the trading post ad says anything native
fish related
	is ok here. You will notice more than one add selling
books,pictures,
	fish, magazines, live foods etc. in the trading post on a
regular
	basis.................

	>If this is a commercial operation, then the advertiser should
have to
	>pay for an ad in the publications of NANFA or otherwise not
receive any
	>exposure at all.

	Well several other folks since I have been in NANFA have used
the Trading
	post to sell things commercially Jim Forsheys book shop is a
good example
	no one complained about that.......Nor of the Missiphishippi
Aquatics ad,
	Peter Rollos ad etc etc etc..............

	And I think that this function of the Trading Post should be
just
	>that, a non-commercial NANFA publication.

	I disagree I think the Trading Post should be a meeting place
for people
	with similar interests to share wants. In this case Most
European
	Aquarist can not get N.A> natives due to restrictive importation
	laws..............This solves a need for them.

	>While I agree that someone needs to be propagating these
desirable
	>species for distribution to the world, that we shouldn't let
this thing
	get
	>out of hand.  After all, we have a mandate to promote North
American
	fishes,  but that doesn't include an automatic right to exploit
the
	fishes of our
	continent. Are this fellow's native fishes truly domestically
raised?

	What proof do we have of that?

	He has sent me pictures of his Greenhouse he built for this
activity  he
	flew to My house from Copenhagen and legally collected with me a
small
	amount of the species listed and carried them back to Denmark as
carry on
	luggage.

	>I totally disagree with dishonest promotion of the sale of
North
	>American native species in any shape or form, and furthermore
detest any
	forms of using the North American Native Fishes Association for
personal
	gain.

	Regards,

	>BG

	In what sense do you define personal gain?. I gain from my
interactions
	with NANFA members I gain from the info here and I gain from
Trading and
	buying fishies from folks here............If you mean personal
financial
	gain  have you ever sold a fish, a book, a native fish related
anything ?
	If so you are guilty of breaking your own law.

	As for the Credo fish thing here is my take on it. He is a NANFA
member
	he spent 1000's of dollars to come here and take a small amount
of
	legally caught broood stock back to europe to domestically
breed. The
	input from European Aquarists can only help our cause and the
	conservation movement. Our biggest problem is ignorance of the
public but
	lets say 5 years from now the Longear is established in Europe
and is
	showcased reguarly in Aquarium publications ..........well now
when
	someone talks about the plight of the longear in XYZ creek it
now has an
	instant supportive audience.

	As for the Trading Post I watched it die not to many years ago
because
	it's former steward kept adding limitations and rules that made
it more
	and more difficult to advertise till it ceased all together. I
wont do
	that I don't approve or dissapprove of any ads in the trading
post . It
	is up to the parties involved to police themselves and to remain
within
	the various legalities. I dont tell people what is a good/bad
trade/buy
	it is not our bussiness.

	I would be happy to put a disclaimer on the top of the ad saying
	something to the effect that all ads are the responsibility of
the
	individuals and NANFA does not endorse the legitimacy of any ads
and or
	any activities

	regards

	Robert Rice

------
	/ This is the Board of Directors list of the North American
Native Fishes Association
	/ nanfa-bod at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word
	/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of
an email to
	/ nanfa-bod-request at aquaria_net.
	/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org