Re: OCT ads updated

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:58:12 -0400 (EDT) BGran83736 at aol_com writes:
>Dear Members,
>
>RE: Oct Ads "up-dated" :
>
>What's the deal about the native fishes being offered soon for sale
>from the fellow in Denmark, offering native sunfish and shiner's for
sale? Do
>you think that as an Organization, such ads should be placed on the
NANFA  Trading ><sic Post Ad page?

Yes I think that as the trading post ad says anything native fish related
is ok here. You will notice more than one add selling books,pictures,
fish, magazines, live foods etc. in the trading post on a regular
basis.................

>If this is a commercial operation, then the advertiser should have to
>pay for an ad in the publications of NANFA or otherwise not receive any
>exposure at all.

Well several other folks since I have been in NANFA have used the Trading
post to sell things commercially Jim Forsheys book shop is a good example
no one complained about that.......Nor of the Missiphishippi Aquatics ad,
Peter Rollos ad etc etc etc..............

And I think that this function of the Trading Post should be just
>that, a non-commercial NANFA publication.

I disagree I think the Trading Post should be a meeting place for people
with similar interests to share wants. In this case Most European
Aquarist can not get N.A> natives due to restrictive importation
laws..............This solves a need for them.

>While I agree that someone needs to be propagating these desirable
>species for distribution to the world, that we shouldn't let this thing
get
>out of hand.  After all, we have a mandate to promote North American
fishes,  but that doesn't include an automatic right to exploit the
fishes of our
continent. Are this fellow's native fishes truly domestically raised?

What proof do we have of that?

He has sent me pictures of his Greenhouse he built for this activity  he
flew to My house from Copenhagen and legally collected with me a small
amount of the species listed and carried them back to Denmark as carry on
luggage.

>I totally disagree with dishonest promotion of the sale of North
>American native species in any shape or form, and furthermore detest any
forms of using the North American Native Fishes Association for personal
gain.

Regards,

>BG

In what sense do you define personal gain?. I gain from my interactions
with NANFA members I gain from the info here and I gain from Trading and
buying fishies from folks here............If you mean personal financial
gain  have you ever sold a fish, a book, a native fish related anything ?
If so you are guilty of breaking your own law.

As for the Credo fish thing here is my take on it. He is a NANFA member
he spent 1000's of dollars to come here and take a small amount of
legally caught broood stock back to europe to domestically breed. The
input from European Aquarists can only help our cause and the
conservation movement. Our biggest problem is ignorance of the public but
lets say 5 years from now the Longear is established in Europe and is
showcased reguarly in Aquarium publications ..........well now when
someone talks about the plight of the longear in XYZ creek it now has an
instant supportive audience.

As for the Trading Post I watched it die not to many years ago because
it's former steward kept adding limitations and rules that made it more
and more difficult to advertise till it ceased all together. I wont do
that I don't approve or dissapprove of any ads in the trading post . It
is up to the parties involved to police themselves and to remain within
the various legalities. I dont tell people what is a good/bad trade/buy
it is not our bussiness.

I would be happy to put a disclaimer on the top of the ad saying
something to the effect that all ads are the responsibility of the
individuals and NANFA does not endorse the legitimacy of any ads and or
any activities

regards

Robert Rice