elassoma at juno_com (Rodney W Harper): Re: NANFA-- Fish Room Humidity

From: elassoma at juno_com (Rodney W Harper)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Fish Room Humidity
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 09:11:58 EDT

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997 20:23:23 -0400 (EDT) BGran83736 at aol_com writes:

>My fish room is in the back bedroom of my house, previously occupied
>by my daughter who is now married and moved away. The fishroom is cooled
and
>de-humidified by the central-air conditioning system, but when we
>switch over to either outside air or central heating, I'm having a
problem with
>the air being moist and/or fishy smelling ! Certainly I don't mind, but
my
>wife doesn't like any fishy smells in her house! I don't know why, but
>wives are just nose-sensitive, I guess.
>
>Any suggestions?

Wives just do not appreciate our hobbies.  : )

As for the smell.  You should get a de-humidifier for the room and if the
room is carpeted, you need to use a carpet cleaner ever couple of months.
 The carpet would be the main culprit to the smell, most likely.  Do you
have a ceiling fan in the room?  This could help keep humidity stable and
the room cooler.  Invest in a crate of Baking Soda and open up a few
boxes and leave them about the room in strategic locations to absorb the
smell.

What you really need to do is build a shed out back like I did.  : )

Rod