DaveCyndy at aol_com: NANFA-- Maryland Collecting

From: DaveCyndy at aol_com
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Maryland Collecting
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, I thought I would share results of a very abbreviated collecting
trip(9/10/97) on Catoctin Creek, in Frederick County, Maryland.  Catoctin
Creek is a mid sized  piedmont stream just west of Frederick, Maryland(30
miles N.W. of Washington D.C.). It is a tributary of the Potomac River.
Lots
of limestone, mostly gravel and cobble bottom, alternate small riffles
and
shallow pools.  The "trip" was reduced to two pulls of the seine due to
lightning and darkness.  The two pulls yielded the following:

2 Juvenile(2.5") N. Hog Suckers - kept
2 Juvenile(2.5") White Suckers -  kept
Lots of Satinfin Shiners - turned loose - already have
Lots of Blacknose Daces - turned loose - already have
2 Central Stonerollers - kept
Several Creek Chubs -  turned loose - already have
Lots of Crayfish - turned loose
Lots of Tadpoles - - turned loose
Several unidentified shiners - possible species native to area include
Spotail shiner, swallowtail shiner, Rosyface shiner- ranges from
"Freshwater
Fishes of the Carolinas, VA, MD, and DE"  Most closely resembles
Swallowtail
on plate 13 of Petersons but unless this population is abnormally large,
the
size is wrong , several over 3" - Any suggestions on what I might have or
way
to eliminate candidates?

Other species present in creek collected or caught @ other times:
Smallmouth bass(they love a small deer hair bug floated against sycamore
roots)
Rock bass
Redbreast Sunfish
Longnose dace
Sculpin(sp?)
greenside darter
Fallfish
Yellow bullhead
Golden Redhorse
Rosyside dace

The two sucker species are new to me, I would appreciate any info on
feeding,
habits, incapatibilities in a community tank(Long nose and black nose
daces,
stonerollers, satinfin shiners),  etc... .

Thanks very much,
DAVE HOUGH
Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org