Re: Fox snakes

In a message dated 97-08-29 02:57:37 EDT, robertrice at juno_com (robert a rice)
writes:

<<
 Does anyone know if they eat fire ants ? There is a colony of them near
 here that is a transplant and has done well for years and years so the
 locals say...

Inasmuch as Fox Snakes and Horned Toads are certainly not North American
Native FISHes, I don't think it makes too much sence to contine this thread
on the NANF/NANFA lists. :-)  Horned Toads eat any ants, and I presume fire
ants would be included in that.  You do seem to imply that you would be
releasing horned toads to eat the Fire Ants... That seems a bit, well,
foolish -- for a few reasons.  First and foremost, never realease exotics or
domestic raised stocks.  The domestic raised stock may carry disease bakc to
the wild animals.  Secondly, florida is not a desert, the Horned LIzards
would simply not survive.  And lastly, they're probably nto going to stick
around. :-)
><>
J. L. Wiegert