"Darren Gill" <DSGILL at classic_msn.com>: RE: Pygmy Sunfish

From: "Darren Gill" <DSGILL at classic_msn.com>
To: "robert a rice" <robertrice at juno_com>
Subject: RE: Pygmy Sunfish
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 97 19:05:57 UT

Robert,

Thanks for your reply.  What a deal to join NANFA!

I'm ready for the fish now and more than happy to compensate for your
time and
trouble in addition to shipping, but I am not sure what is fair.  I'd
like to
get 5 young pair each of E. evergladei and E. okeefenokee.  I can send
you a
check in advance if necessary.  Now is a good time to ship as the weather
is a
little cooler in Indiana but not too cool yet.
Hope you don't mind, but I have some questions for you as well:

What is the average life expectancy of Elassoma?

I've seen some males in photos that are velvet black with irridescent
blue/green glitter.  Is this breeding coloration only are do healthy
specimens
exhibit that coloring year round?  Can you find blacker fish with more of
the
blue/green markings?

I have not seen E. okeefenokee.  How does it compare to E. evergladei?
(no
offense, but I am not that impressed with E. zonatum as its coloring
seems to
be less than spectacular compared to E. elassoma).

My tank conditions are typically pH 6.8, GH 6 and kH 3 and temp 76
degrees.
>From what I have read this should be ideal for Elassoma. Have you had
any
other experiences?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm fascinated by these little fish!

Darren
dsgill at msn_com