H. formosa

B.G.

I wanted to give you an update on the Heterandria formosa that I recieved
from you a month ago. They are reproducing in my aquarium in great numbers!
In addition to the original fish, I now have about 50 young of many different
sizes. The fry grow very rapidly and the little females are coming into
sexual
maturity after only 1-month. The little males are harder to identify. I am
interested
to see what the ratio of males to females is with this species.

One interesting feature, many of the young fish have beautiful red color on
the dorsal fins, whereas the adults did not. I wonder if this is the result
of diet,
water conditions or genetics.

Best Regards,

Rob Erhardt